Tuesday, July 21

Back From Nationals

My my my I'm getting quite bad at posting blogs in a timely fashion! I promise to smarten up now that my vacations are over -sniffles-

As most of you probably already know, Nationals finished up Saturday night with the RITA and Golden Heart Awards ceremony. For those of you who don't know what those are it's like the Oscars except for romance writers. It was a really fun night, except my butt went to sleep about half way through the presentations. But I suppose that wasn't really a need-to-know piece of information. Ah well, you know all about it now, LOL.

Anyway, so not only were the awards themselves interesting, but seeing everyone all dolled up was a lot of fun too! I'm glad I got the heads up from pictures of previous years that this event was more formal. Can you just imagine if I hadn't known? Walking in there in shorts and a t-shirt while everyone else is wearing dresses? Gah, that's just a bit too frightening to think of. So... moving on.

Sunday was supposed to be the "put a dollop of sunscreen on our noses and walk around Washington with camera's tied to our necks like those adorable Asian tourists you always see" day. But of course, that didn't quite go as planned. Alright, it didn't go at all as planned. Instead of sightseeing America's capital, Mum and I spent the day sleeping in our room and reading some of the stacks of books we got at the conference. I know, exciting lives we lead. But nevertheless it was an enjoyable day.

Monday we made sure all of our books were packed... oh and I guess all of our clothes too, LOL. Guess you all know what my priorities are! Then we spent the rest of the day flying home. We got into Calgary at about 7pm and went home to start laundry and crawl into bed.

Sadly, today we had to get up early. Mum and I needed to go to the hospital for a dermatologist appointment. I suppose I should explain so I'm not leaving you all sitting there going, "huh?" 3 years ago I camped in the Jamaican jungle where I met my wonderful boyfriend Christopher (long story). Anyway, when I got back from Jamaica we noticed a bump on my shoulder. Everyone just thought it was a zit (trust me, everyone has tried to pop it, including my grade 12 AP English teacher). In the end we mostly forgot about it. It got itchy and sometimes it would fluctuate in size, but other than that I wasn't alarmed. However, that all changed in February of this year when I went into my doctors for the requisite yearly physical. During that time I finally managed to ask my doctor about it (I kept forgetting before then) and she checked it out. She became quite alarmed and checked off a bunch of boxes on the blood work sheet. When my blood work came back showing that I was severely iron deficient (I was 2 points away from being hospitalized on the scale) she discussed options with me. She figured it was either a tumor or a worm from my time in Jamaica. Gross, I know. She then performed a check on my body to find any other bumps like it. She found a very small one- in comparison- on my other shoulder. So she referred me to a dermatologist and put me on iron pills. Since then my iron keeps fluctuating and she's not quite sure what to do.

Anyway, my appointment was today (yes, I booked it in February... you do the math). Thankfully the kind lady told me they were just scars. She said that sometimes if you have a zit, or a cut or something like that, the skin tries to over heal itself. So rather than going, "Oh, the skin is unblemished again and looks and feels good, I better stop now" that "healing" switch isn't turned off. So in other words, the skin keeps trying to heal itself, so the tissue is forming on top of the already healed tissue, forming a giant lump. It isn't harmful or dangerous to me (thank goodness) but it isn't very pretty to look at. So she prescribed me a cream I need to put on every night and cover with a giant bandage. Mostly it's to prevent it from getting any bigger. She said it'll take years to diminish it, but that's alright. The only other option was to stick a needle in it every 3-4 months. Now, I'm not afraid of needles but my lump hurts when you squeeze it, so sticking a needle into it didn't sound like the most friendly of options.

After that relieving bit of news, the family and I went to see the 6th Harry Potter movie. I know, I know, I'm ashamed I didn't go earlier, but I was a bit preoccupied in DC. It was very good. Extremely different from the book but that's bound to happen.

Alright, I'm going to bed for now. Well, actually I'm going to start reading Delilah's book. I found it in Chapters in the city today. Yay!
Talk to you all tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...