Thursday, October 1

Peace Through Compassion

Today, is a day I will never forget. It is a day that has changed me forever. It is a day that will resonate deep within me for the rest of my life. It changed the way I thought of the world and how I viewed others. In many ways, it also solidified the beliefs I already held.

"Peace Through Compassion."

Today, I learned the truth and meaning behind Compassion and behind Peace. I learned to appreciate Beauty in the simplest of things. I learned what it meant to be at Peace with yourself and with your neighbors. I learned what Happiness meant to me.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."

Today, I was Blessed enough to be in the presence of His Holiness The 14th Dalai Lama.

He came to Calgary for a few days to spread his message of Peace. When my family heard that he was coming to our area, we jumped at the chance to hear him speak. Now, to answer the question probably running through your mind: No, I am not an anti-war activist. I hold a great Respect and Love for the men and women who fight for their country. I Respect the search for World Democracy. But I abhor the horrors and the sadness that war causes. And no, my family and I aren't Buddhists but we Respect His Holiness to a depth that reaches reverence.

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive."


"Happiness does not diminish when shared." *

Before we went to see him, we were warned repeatedly that he is nothing but a political figure spreading his own agenda. I have to strongly disagree. He spoke highly of every nation. Even China. He spoke of violence, Peace, Love, Unity, Education and Compassion. And how we, as the next generation, can belong to the Century of Peace if we but work together. Our skin colour, our nationality, our political beliefs and our religious beliefs may be different, but first and foremost, we are all humans. We--together--make up Humanity.

"Compassion is the radicalism of our time."

In my opinion, His Holiness has achieved an inner Peace most of us only dream of having. I think this is reflected in his smile. He just makes you want to hug him. He has seen horrors in this world, and yet, he still believes in us. In Humanity. That's why I love him. Because he spreads messages of Compassion and believes it himself. And I will be Eternally grateful for the gift he has given me. He has given me the gift of Understanding in a world full of Ignorance.


"Old friends pass away, new friends appear. It is just like the days. An old day passes, a new day arrives. The important thing is to make it meaningful: a meaningful friend - or a meaningful day."


*All of the other quotes are from His Holiness. This quote, however, was said by an elementary school teacher and his class who performed today.*

**I don't like to post about possibly controversial topics, but I figured it's my blog and I felt like sharing this day with everyone. I hope I did not offend anyone.**

6 comments:

  1. Glad you had a wonderful experience, everyone i know who's met him says the same.

    No, i'm not a Buddhist, or particularly pacifistic. I've seen some of his work, and read some books, he impresses me as a fine human being. Thanks to where i used to work, i met a lot of the very high-up Buddhist lamas (though i missed the Dalai, he visited the year before i started).

    Unlike most religions, the Tibetan Buddhist holy men impressed me with their humour, compassion, and love for every one of us. They make our world a bit brighter - and they spread laughter - something not many people can say, with their spouting of 'hate your neighbour' and even 'kill your neighbour' if they disagree with your religion or political views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you shouldn't be afraid to offend anyone. You can believe what you want and others cant change that. Its not possible to please everyone.

    Im jealous though. I can only imagine what it would be like to be in the presence of someone so spiritual

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great Nat :) I'm happy you get to feel like that. It's awesome to hear you're so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila- Thanks!! I agree 100% You don't have to be religious to appreciate his wonderful work.

    Bailey- I know, but I don't want to offend anyone. You'll notice, I didn't apologise if I did, LOL! Yeah, it was amazing.

    Chloe- Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was awesome! Thank you! What an AWESOME experience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome. It really was an amazing experience. Once in a lifetime for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...