Friday, September 4

Writing Tip of the Week

Ahh, another theme post! Aren't you all happy? Yes? Perhaps? Just go with it, 'kay? Okay.

First, just remember, all thoughts are my own and you are allowed to disagree with me. I promise I won't hold it against you... Much, LOL! Just kidding... Anyway, you are even allowed to state your own opinions in the comments section. Aren't I nice? I'm letting you voice your thoughts, LOL!

But down to business... I'm not sure if this is so much a writing tip as it is a pet peeve of mine. However it could be seen as a writing tip because I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds this annoying...

-Ahem-


Alright, seriously guys, I've read way too many romance novels where they use the cliche "love at first sight."

Blinks.

WHY?

Now, I'm not saying to not use it. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it can work. Sometimes.
I find especially in the heroine's point of view it's alright. But in the guys? No. Way. And I'm not talking about the "plot" where he's in-lust with her right away, or is intrigued and what have you. I'm talking about where BAM he sees her and is already talking about love and marriage and children ON THE SECOND PAGE!

Gaping at everyone.

I ask again...

WHY?

Even if your hero is the most tenderhearted, lovable guy, I sincerely doubt he is going to win over your readers by falling in love with her right away. Personally, I'd think he was stupid. And who wants to fall in love with a really stupid guy? Looks around for raised hands. No? No one? Never would have guessed (extreme sarcasm here, people!).

Honestly, he can have serious suspicions about his feelings for her and can even like her a lot, but when the hero is talking about "how much he loves her" and how "absolutely perfect" she is I seriously start to think he's a little slow in the noggin'. Either that or he's a stalker. Or gay.

However, if he does fall in love with her right away, there better be a damn good reason why. Is he young and foolish and it's his first love? Did she save someone close to him and has thus won his undying respect and loyalty? Etc...

If not, I say scrap it. I've never read a romance where love at first sight (unless it was along the same lines as the examples given above) where I didn't find the guy to be weak, flimsy or more feminine than most females. Not exactly appealing in the genre where guys are supposed to be MEN.

Gah!

Thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. I agree. I find the love at first sight thing very clique'. Now I wont say it doesnt happen but most often when its used in books its cheesy and like you said, the male is no longer very "manly" and is avery undeveloped character

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no such thing as love at first sight...but lust at first sight...YES! Really, how can you love someone you don't even know?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol honestly, what guy (real guy) falls in love at first site and is talking about marriage and children the next day? Only the psycho ones, only the psycho ones. So while I'm not denying that a guy can fall in love at first site, I believe if he does then he is most likely on the crazy stalker end of the scale.

    Which should send you running.
    He's not cute, he's not charming, he's not the man of your dreams.

    He cuts off your hair while you sleep and smells it in his closet while worshiping the giant statue he made of you.

    And...well, I guess if you like that in a man, then go for him. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bailey, B.E. & Jenn- I'm glad we're all on the same page.

    Meg- You made me LOL. Three times. First when I read it, then when I read it out to my parents and then just now again. I'm sure if I read it tomorrow I'll laugh once again. Ahh, I love you! =D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...