Monday, October 5

Book Recommendations

*The Conqueror by Kris Kennedy, Game for Anything by Bella Andre, To Wed a Wicked Earl by Olivia Parker*

I haven't done this for a while so I figured I'd just make it one large post of books I've read in the past couple of weeks that I enjoyed. I did read more than these three books, but unfortunately, I didn't like them. I either put them down after 150 pages, or I finished with nothing nice to say about them. I've found that, since starting my own novel, I'm much pickier about what books I like. Has anyone else found that happening to them?
Anyway, onto the rather short reviews.

The Conqueror by Kris Kennedy

I'm not sure if anyone remembers my last book review post about a Robin Hood romance novel. If you don't, click here. In it I talk about how the book didn't feel like it had the right vibe going on (I found a lot wrong with it). Well, in The Conqueror, it feels very Robin Hood-esk to me. It's not based on the legend at all, but it just has that feel to it. Before reading the book I had read some rather nasty reviews of this book but decided to pick it up anyway. I'm glad I did. I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. The hero was lovable and the heroine was interesting. My one complaint was that it felt like there was too much happening near the end of the book. It had a lot of plot lines and I think the author could have removed one or two. But overall it didn't detract from the novel. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes medieval romance.

Game for Anything by Bella Andre
This is the first book of her Bad Boys of Football series.

I'm not a fan of football by any means (I'm Canadian... we like our hockey!) but Miss Bella made me understand the game and surprise of all surprises, enjoy it. The hero was such a bad a** that I loved learning about what drove him to do the things he did. The heroine was feisty and strong but still lovable all the same. It was a quick read but it had me grinning when I finished it. The second book, Game for Seduction, was a really good read too. (In fact, I read it first and liked it more than Game for Anything, but shhh). Bella also has a book coming out at the end of October. It's the second in her firefighter books. The first one (Wild Heat) was AMAZING.


To Wed a Wicked Earl by Olivia Parker

I read Ms. Parker's first book At The Bride Hunt Ball last year at the suggestion of the talented Julia Quinn and LOVED it. I mean, absolutely fell in love with the book. Well, needless to say, I was anticipating her second book, To Wed a Wicked Earl, A LOT. I wasn't disappointed. I could not put this book down. When I read it I really should have been doing school work but I couldn't help it. I fell in love with the hero INSTANTLY and I think he's in my top 5 favourite heroes EVER. And the heroine was someone I wish I could be friends with. I know authors always aim to achieve that, but I find it rarely happens. But with this book, I was so in love with the characters that I was giddy by the end of the book. Ms. Parker, you've truly outdone yourself. I didn't think you could beat the first book and yet, somehow you did. I cannot wait until the next book. It's one I'll buy the day it comes out. Highly recommend to anyone who loves Regency novels.



Have you read any good books recently?




4 comments:

  1. Well that football book sure doesn't look like it takes place in the olden days lol. Perhaps I'll have to read that one =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm way pickier about what I read since I started writing. Oh, I read a much wider variety of works than I used to, but what I mean is the book has to have a little something extra to keep me interested. Otherwise, I read as far as I can and then put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE historical romance! I will definitely have to check out Olivia Parker :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg- LOL. You already know what I say to that.

    B.E.- Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one! I find that I feel like I don't have enough time to read books I'm not enjoying.

    Diana- Yay! I loved that book. While writing this post I wanted to read it again, LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...