Sunday, October 11

Now, Promise You Won't Get Mad...

I've done something bad. Really, really bad.

I cheated...

On my story.

Recently I've been afflicted with thoughts of another story, one about a certain character in my current work-in-progress. Unfortunately, my Muse was not satisfied with me merely jotting notes down for the future. Instead I was continuously bombarded with conversations and images until I ached to work on it. So last night, I did the unthinkable. I did the thing I promised myself I'd never do. I started a new story.

I'm only 1200 words in but I love it. I'm already head over heels in love with my hero. And my heroine feels like a long lost best friend. I know most of the plot line and it doesn't feel like it's going to change much, if at all. For some reason, this story seems to call to me. It refuses to sit quietly in the background until I'm ready to deal with it. No, no, that would make my life much too easy. And as we all know, our Muses are finicky, self-centered creatures who care nothing about goals or the outside world.

-Sighs-

So I discussed this with several people and decided it's alright for me to work on another story. I think that as long as I'm writing and enjoying what I'm writing, then all is well. I am under no real deadlines right now, so I might as well let my Muse have her way. Besides, I have a feeling I might be able to pull off working on two stories at the same time. Not quickly, of course, LOL. But we'll see how it goes.

Have you ever "cheated" on a story before? How did it work out? Have you tried working--slowly--on two stories at the same time?

7 comments:

  1. They say when creating art you should always take a moment and go back to it later. Sometimes taking a break helps you to see things you didn't notice before be them good ir bad,

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Cheated'? Yup. Heck, I was in the middle of another book when I started this WIP. The first time I did it was a couple years ago, when I was slogging through writing a mystery and this speculative idea wouldn't be denied. Today, the speculative is finished, the mystery isn't - and that's okay. I don't know if I'll ever get back to those books I dumped for other books, and that's okay, too. As long as the writing keeps getting better and the new books actually get finished, I say 'go for it.'

    I've also worked on two books at the same time. It worked for a little while, until my brain couldn't sort one story from the other. I think Lynn Viehl (aka Paperback Writer) does more than one at a time, and she's organized like you. Give it a whirl. If it doesn't work, go back to the old way. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm cheating right now. I should be finishing book two or three of the series I started. But these other characters in this whole other world keep calling to me. And they are very seductive, so I've given in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh heck yeah. I've never cheated on a boyfriend or my husband, but I'm a chronic cheater when it comes to some WIP's (and diets). I don't think that there's anything wrong with that. Currently I've got a couple of great "starts" sitting on the backburner...the stories are there but I'm just not yet. That's okay, I will be someday, and in the meantime I've got my current WIP to keep the creative juices flowing.

    Sometimes our Muses know we just need to take the detour and wander down a different path...and sometimes that damn Muse also knows I just need to wander over to the freezer and crack into a pint of Ben & Jerry's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only work on one thing at a time. If you can do more you've got talent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm cheating too. I go back and forth on my two WIPs all the time. I'm trying to write two stories at once, just to see if I can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bailey- I agree

    B.E.- Oh good! I'm glad I'm not the only one =\

    Yeah, I'm worried about not being able to remember which book is which. Thanks! I think I will give it a try.

    Karen- LOL, well why not, I say! I hope it keeps going well for you!

    Rhonda- Hello! Wait, you mean you're NOT supposed to cheat on diets?! =P -snorts- I'm in the same boat as you. My Muse does what she pleases, when she pleases. It gets old at times.

    Lady Glamis- First: Gorgeous picture of you! Second: We'll see if I can, LOL! I have no doubt im organized enough, but I think it'll all be up to my Muse.

    Jenn- How's it going for you??

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...