Sunday, October 25

Reminders

This weekend I was reminded of a few things. I think I'll share them with you just in case you've forgotten too.
  1. Don't worry over whether or not someone is going to like your story while you're still working on it. No one is going to like it if it never gets written.
  2. Don't focus on making every word utterly perfect. No one can write perfection the first time around.
  3. Even if it is a slow writing day, or god forbid, week, be proud of what you do accomplish, whether it's writing or cleaning the house.
  4. You don't always have to meet your writing schedule. Rushing to meet that 1000, 2000 or even 3000 daily quota will almost always result in crap. Take your time; the words will come to you.
  5. Getting stuck on one part does not mean that your story sucks or that you suck as a writer. Move on to another section, or try taking a break. Sometimes your creative juices just need to be stirred up a bit.
  6. Remember to always leave the cave. Going outside or spending time with real people will help your writing. I know this can be hard, especially when you're on a roll, but trust me.
  7. Have fun. If you aren't having fun, you may need to change it up. Writing should be fun, especially if it's what you want to do for a living. If you aren't enjoying your story, it'll be reflected in your work.

Some of these are my own thoughts to writers out there. I've noticed quite a few frayed nerves on the blogosphere recently, so I felt a reminder might help everyone out.

Thank you Chris, for pointing out some of these things to me. I need reminding every once and a while.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks, Natalie. I needed that. :hugs:

    And just because it amused me, my verification word is "unhyosen". I wasn't hyosen to begin with, but whatever. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! Especially leaving the cave. I'm going to do that more often while writing my new WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Natalie, I agree and definitely need to remember those :)

    My word verification was nelisava. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reminder. I think we all need to be reminded sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your reminders are absolutely true, especially the first one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good tips to keep in mind when I'm writing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great list of reminders. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. B.E.- You're welcome! -hugs-
    LOL! I love the word verifications. They amuse me =D

    Karen- Thanks =]

    Diana- You're welcome!

    Angie- You're welcome. I agree. My boyfriend gets that lovely job a lot, LOL!

    Melane- Thanks! And you're welcome =]

    Jen-You're welcome =]

    Elana- Thank you! You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...