Saturday, October 10

Writing Tip of the Week

Hello everyone!

How was your week? Mine wasn't very good, but that's alright. Next week will be better I'm sure! Anyway, I decided to relax a little last night by reading two books. The first was Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick... OMGOMGOMG!! I loved this book! Suffice it to say, if you like Twilight, you'll adore this book. In fact, I think I liked it more than Twilight! Shocking, I know.

The second book... Well, to be honest, I didn't like it. I, for obvious reasons, won't divulge the author's name or the title of the book, but I will admit that it's rather new (within the past year) and the author well-known. Now, there were many reasons why I didn't like the book, but instead of tearing it to shreds, I'm going to focus on one point for today's post.

Stay Consistent Within Your Story

I know this seems quite basic but I found so many consistency errors in the novel that I was 1. confused and 2. jolted out of the story. Neither of which are things you want to do to your readers. Now, by Stay Consistent, I mean with things like the colour of the heroes hair/ eyes, how each character speaks, their personality, emotion of the characters or a particular scene, and so on.

Well, in this book, not only did the heroes hair colour change from blonde to black, but the author messed up with several of her character's "memories." For example: In the novel the Hero is talking to a man (let's call him Bob) who knows the Heroine's father. However, Bob has never met the Heroine before, but since he knows her father, Bob says things like "I'm sure she's just as wonderful as her father." "It's a pity I've never met her." Etc...

3-4 Chapters later, after Bob has met the Heroine at a dinner party, he's talking to the Hero about how he watched the Heroine grow up and how she's always been sweet, yadda yadda...

=\

Anyone else confused? 3 chapters earlier, Bob had never known the Heroine. Then suddenly she's always been like a daughter to him? HUH?!

I truly find inconsistencies in a story very hard to swallow. I know they are bound to happen, but such glaringly obvious ones? It bugs me. It makes me think the author was just being sloppy, or didn't really care about their story. I know this may not be true, but that's how I feel after reading a book with those issues.

What do you guys think? Is it just plain ol' sloppy, or something else? What's the worst "consistency issue" you've ever encountered while reading a novel?

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...