Monday, January 25

Curveball

When life throws you a curveball…


I’ve always wondered what I would do if life threw me a curveball... Would I swing and miss? Would I duck? Would I run away, screaming like a fool? Would I hit it? Would it be a foul ball? A 1st baser? A second? A homerun?

Or would it hit me? If it did... would I recover? Would I let the fear of being hit cripple me for the rest of my life? Would I walk away? Would I ever swing again?

I’ve already faced a lot in my twenty years of life. I’ve had organ surgery, I’ve said goodbye to friends; I’ve seen my family fall apart around me. I’ve lost people special to me. I’ve watched friends destroy themselves with drugs and alcohol. I’ve faced depression. I’ve been terrified for my very life; I’ve been the outsider, looking in.

I haven’t always been strong through it all. But I conquered. I survived. And it’s made me who I am today.

I realize now that I’ve always known the answer to my question: What would I do if life threw me a curveball? It seems so simple to answer now.

I would hit it. And even if the ball is a foul, and even if I throw the bat and trip on it as I run, at least I knew I hit it with everything that’s in me.

I tried.

And you never know. I could hit that ball and it could be a homerun. But I’d never know for sure unless I took that breath, took that swing, and gave it my all.


What would you do?

16 comments:

  1. You are so adorable. I think you've hit a home run. Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an extremely difficult to hit a decent curveball! And when I say hit, I mean putting the ball in the field of play. So what would I do? I'd foul it off and hope that the next pitch would be something I could hit. If not, I'd foul that one off too. I'd keep fouling them off until the pitcher tried to sneak a fastball by me, and I'D JUMP ON IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like most baseball players, you won't hit the ball every time. The longer you play, the better you'll get. Just try not to get hit by the ball.

    Great post, I can totally relate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd do my darndest to get a piece of it! Baseball is my language of choice. Anytime I can compare myself to baseball - good or bad - I'm happy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this blog!! This was a great post... I suppose the key is to swing to show that you are at least trying... you won't hit it everytime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :hugs: Your post reminds me of a Hank Aaron quote I keep around: "My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging."

    Whatever life throws at you, keep swinging. I think you already figured this out, but IMO, no one ever hit anything standing at the plate waiting for a perfect pitch. And when you find the sweet spot, knock it out of the park, baby. Oh yeah. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been known to run from it with hands over head. But I think I've grown. And I HOPE I'd swing.
    Winged Writer

    ReplyDelete
  8. As the great Dori says (which can be altered to suit)..."Just keep swimming, swimming-swimming!" Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You hit a home run with this post!! I felt so inspired while reading. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amber- Aww thanks =) -hugs-

    DL- LOL! That's the spirit =P

    Jonathon- Thanks!

    Shannon- Haha I'm glad =]

    Jen- Awww thank you! You're so sweet!

    B.E.- Hugs! That's a great quote! And I agree! =D

    Catherine- lol I don't blame you.

    Mum- Heh, yep. I sing that to myself all the time. Which just sounds weird, but meh. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vicky- Aww thanks! I'm glad you liked it =]

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are so many types of curve balls life can throw you I'm not sure how I'd react to all of them. I've had my fair share of life's downs, but I've survived. I just try to remember how precious each day is. I'm very blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would swing too! I would probably squeeze my eyes shut and swing with all I was worth :) In fact, I think it's happened to me before but I'm so used to swinging that I don't always notice which ones are the curves :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stephanie- That is very true. Not all curveballs are the same.

    Diana- Yay! I close my eyes too. It's not the wisest way, but it makes me feel safer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. tat was Homerun for sure!!!
    Cheers to life!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...