Wednesday, February 17

Curling Explained

For those wondering what the heck curling is and why Canadians find it so entertaining:

http://www.anchoragecurling.com/description.htm

I tried to find a video explanation, but they were all slow. Basically, the point to curling is to have your rock closest to the center. At the end of the round, whichever team has a rock closest to the center gets the points.

It sounds boring, and can even look boring if you don't know what you're watching. But trust me, I've played curling (both on a team, as well as in gym class) and it's loads of fun. Just throwing the rock is hard because you're balancing on the rock and your broom. Not easy. The strategy alone is mind-boggling.




Okay, so do you see how they won the round (and the game)? They got like, a bazillion points because all of their red rocks were closer to the button than any of the yellow rocks. Ergo, they got like 5 points.

Hope that helps!

Oh, and if you haven't seen it yet, I posted a snippet of my story here. Check it out and give me some feedback =)

9 comments:

  1. At first I thought you meant curling your hair! Now I see...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife is an Olympics nut...and has fallen in love with curling. Unfortunately, the USA sucks at it. Okay, maybe they don't suck...but they did CHOKE numerous times. Men and women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband has taught curling. (The husband lived in Canada for two years, btw... in Vancouver. He hasn't read Honor Two. Roll eyes.) The husband's a big fan of curling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aubrie- LOL!

    DL- lol! Yeah, USA hasn't been doing too well with curling =\

    Wendy- How could he have not read Honor 2?! Yeah, I like curling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks!

    Would it be fair to say it's like a hybrid of bocce and shuffleboard on ice?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laurel- You're welcome =) To be honest, I've never tried either of those sports, so I can't say for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must say, I grew up in Detroit, watching CBC from Windsor. Curling was always on. I thought it was quite a joke. Now that it's on all day long, I find it fascinating. But how come the rock always spins when they let it go? Is that strategy? Just once I want to see it go straight without spinning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Matt- The rock spins because they want it to. By spinning it either clockwise or counter-clockwise it gets the rock to curl, which is why they can curl around other rocks.

    To send it straight down the ice, you need to shoot it, which would damage the rocks it hits and could possible break the hack off at the other end (the foothold place they use to push off from).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...