Tuesday, February 16

PHEW!

Okay, sorry I haven't been posting (or visiting most of your blogs). Yesterday and today I worked on a book review for my history class. Sounds easy enough, right? Nope, guess again. The book I had to review was England’s Troubles: Seventeenth-Century English Political Instability in European Context, by Jonathon Scott. It's a behemoth book at 496 pages and dreadfully boring-- I had to read it TWICE to figure out the thesis of the book. Yep, you read that right: TWICE!!!!!!

Anyway, after all that reading (and note-taking), I had to write a review of the book, including a 2 page summary. This wouldn't have been so hard if the book was actually interesting. But, alas, it wasn't. I struggled coming up with topics other than "I HATED THIS BOOK!!! WHY DID YOU MAKE US READ IT, WIGELSWORTH? YOU'RE STILL MY FAVOURITE HISTORY PROFESSOR, BUT YOU HAVE LOST BIG POINTS, MISTER! IF THE SECOND BOOK WE HAVE TO REVIEW IS AS BORING AS THIS, YOU ARE GOING TO BE DEMOTED TO SECOND FAVOURITE HISTORY PROFESSOR! SO THERE!"
Ahem.

So after 9 hours spread out over 2 days, I finished the essay at 2989 words. That is not including footnotes, since I used in-text citations.

Needless to say, I'm tired. My eyes are crossing. I need to bathe. I'm missing at least 3 pens. I suspect they're in my hair somewhere.

So, what did you do for Family Day on Monday... wait, it's a different holiday in America. What was it (I'm too tired to look it up)?

13 comments:

  1. President's Day...and posts like this really don't make me miss college, and really don't make me look forward to grad school! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, girl! You totally crack me up. I had to read this one to my hubby, the history teacher. He got a kick out of it, too. I'm glad you can put that behind you. :-)

    P.S. I'll have little something for you at my blog on Wednesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehe... I'm pretty sure that's how my students felt when I made them read Founding Brothers over the summer. Good thing it's a lot shorter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the parts of college I don't miss. . .

    Glad you lived to tell the tale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, college... I miss it, but not those parts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on getting that review done. It sounds like it was a pain.

    Husband had the day off for President's Day, so we all took the day off and spent it lounging around the house. Come to think of it, that sounds like a plan for today, too. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. On President's Day, my biggest accomplishment was taking a shower.

    I was proud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Summer- Thanks! -shudders- grad school? I thought about doing it once. Decided I didn't like school that much, LOL

    Shannon- LOL! =P Thanks for the award darling!!

    Jonathon- lol

    Stephanie- lol no kidding

    Ellen- Thank you! Me too. I wasn't sure for a while there.

    Guinevere- Yeah, I don't think anyone misses these parts -shudders-

    B.E.- Heh, yes, that does sound like a swell idea. I think I may join you in that.

    Amber- LOL! I think that might be me today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAHA ewwwww. I am so not a history buff! Kudos to you for sticking to that book even if you had to sludge through it twice (is that a verb?). Take a break!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, you poor thing! Sorry you had to be subjected to that kind of torture!

    My Monday sucked, too. Big time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julie- I think it is a verb (even if it isnt, it works, lol). Thanks! I do love history, but not when it's just a list of facts. Bo-ring.

    Melissa- Thanks! Yeah, it was tough. Aww I'm sorry -hugs-

    ReplyDelete
  12. He got a kick out of it, too. I'm glad you can put that behind you. :-)

    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...