Friday, February 19

What Do You Think?

Okay, so here's the deal. I've been having problems with my story. Not that the words won't come or anything, but that I'm not feelin' the plot too much anymore. I know the writing is pretty good, and I love my characters, but something isn't clicking. I think the big issue is that I've already learned so much from the 72 pages I've written that I want to change it and make it better-- which is great. But I don't have the time, or the energy to do that right now. It kinda just feels like a big stresser.

So. This leaves me with three options (that I see):
  1. Scrap the story.
  2. Stare at the story till my brain hurts and I have no hair left from tearing it out-- I've also gone insane by this point.
  3. Put the story aside (for now) and work on something new.
After talking with my Mum, I decided to go with option 3. I truly love my story, but it's not working right now. I know I can fix it, but my brain isn't ready to yet-- apparently. And honestly, I'm okay with that. Sure, I'd love to finish the story and query it... but if it's not up to snuff by the end, I wouldn't query it anyway. Therefore, it makes much more sense (to me, at least) to work on a new story that will be better than the last one-- and possibly query it when I'm done.
So I spent the day plotting a new story. I've got names picked out, and more concrete idea of the plot than any of my two previous stories (yay)! I hope to start on the Prologue and Chapter One tomorrow. If I get those done, I might ask for a few beta's to see what you think.
Oh, and by the way, this new story takes place in England and the Holy Land from about 1214-1215ish. It's only about 15 years after the 3rd Crusade with Richard the Lionheart.
I've always been more interested in Medieval Romances... it sort of makes me wonder why I ever started out with Regency....
What do you think?

15 comments:

  1. I think 3 is a good choice, but I would have gone with restarting. I have done 3 too many times and now...blah. But my current WiP has been the biggest challenge I've faced as a writer and I love it more for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent choice, walk away and sometimes things just fall in place! I love Medieval Romances so I am digging the new story for sure! Have fun with the prologue and chapter one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you picked the right choice. Don't scrap it just give it a break and start something else. Happy writing and good luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at it this way, if you choose #3, you can always come back to it later. Future-you may decide then to scrap it, but it's better than not having the option. =o)

    Then again, I keep everything - including scraps of scenes I snipped out years ago. A file for everything and everything in its file. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. There were many times that I put my WIP aside for a week or more due to the same feelings. Coming back to it with a fresh eye made all the difference and allowed me to see where it was falling flat--and fix it.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I choose #3 all the time! It's much better than the other options. I think the premise of the Crusade story sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good choice! I do love Kitty though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds cool. Good luck with all your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you're right on with option 3. I always feel sad about the idea of scrapping a story completely ... I know that someday I could get a second wind and want to revisit it. So I usually put my stories aside and just take a break from them too. I'm sure that things will fall into place for you eventually! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree that number 3 sounds good. Sometimes a break is needed so you can have time to figure out what needs to be fixed. Good luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good choice. There's no reason you can't start over too. If you have a better idea and you can make it work, do it. If not, you can pick it up where you left it. Have fun with the new one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 3 works a lot of the time, but sometimes it can backfire. But if you really love the story, I have a feeling that you'll find a way back to it. :)

    By the way, you've got a blog award: http://astheplotthickens.blogspot.com/2010/02/okay-so-i-make-stuff-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jonathon- I don't have time to restart it right now. With school, I barely have time to sleep, never mind restart the story.

    Jen- Thanks =) Ooo yay. Maybe I will post some excerpts of it so you can see?

    Christine- Thanks! I was a little worried about the choice, but I feel good now.

    B.E.- Yep, exactly. I keep a lot of stuff as well. Not everything, but a lot.

    Tara- I agree. I just wanted to keep writing, so I started the new story.

    Roxy- Thanks!

    Tina- Thanks! LOL, yes I love Kitty too. I'm not giving up on that story, just setting it aside for now =)

    Angie- Thank you

    Julie- Thank you hun =)

    Melissa- Yeah, I really just needed a break from that story.

    Matt- Yep, exactly. Thanks =)

    Jenna- How can it backfire? And thanks! I'll make my way over there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you made the right choice. There's no reason to struggle with a story that's not working. It will show in your writing that you're not feeling it. You can always revisit the characters later.

    Good luck with your new WIP!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jennifer- Oh good, I was a little worried making the choice.... But it felt right, so.... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...