Wednesday, February 17

WIP Wednesday AND a Sneak Peak!!


So far this break I've been doing a whole lot of TV watching, which is unusual for me. But c'mon, it's the Olympics! Gotta scream and cheer for ma peeps (yep, when on break, my intelligence level drops dramatically). For you Canadians in the crowd, did you watch Alexandre Bilodeau win the first gold in Freestyle Skiing Men’s Moguls? Oh man, I did! It was amazing! My whole family started blubbering.

Anyway, my writing has been going alright so far. I've been pretty busy, so I haven't reached the numbers I'd hoped for. But that's okay =) I'm still stuck on this one scene, which I plan on tackling today. I'll update you later on how the battle goes.

Now, I decided I'm going to try something different today. I thought I'd post a snippet of my story! How's that sound?



Chapter One
1818

Kitty was ready to kill someone, damn the consequences. If one more middle aged, powdered and pampered gentleman groped her bottom, she was going to go find the nearest vase and smash it over his pink, balding head.

Shooting her newest groper a withering look, she fluffed out her skirts in an attempt to dislodge his slimy hand. But rather than let go, his grip tightened, squeezing one cheek painfully. It was going to be blue tomorrow, she was sure of it.

Sir, remove your hand or I shall be forced to remove it for you.”

Instead of cowering in fear as she’d hoped, the pudgy man grinned, showing a full set of yellowing teeth. “Is that so, love?”

Clenching her jaw, she took a covert step sideways. Hiding behind one of the ballroom’s pillars to escape the snide gazes of the ton no longer seemed like such a good idea. Silly her for thinking she’d ever get a moment of peace to herself. After four and twenty years she should have known better. Someone like her didn’t deserve quiet moments.

“Yes, that is so,” she ground out.

He sidled up beside her, close enough that she could see the pimples peeking out from beneath caked on powder. “I’ll take my chances.”

Sighing in annoyance, she glanced up at the ceiling. For what, she didn’t know. Divine intervention, perhaps? But no, the pudgy cherubs depicted above remained frozen in all their naked glory, grinning down at her in mischief.

Guess it was up to her to rescue herself from this blasted situation. Again.

***

So what do you think?

9 comments:

  1. Awesome, Natalie!!! I've said it before, but I'll say it again... you've got serious talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny is that... I mean not obviously for kitty but I loved it!!! I love your description, and you are fantastic at dialogue! I'm super jealous!!!

    Oh and though I am not a canadian watching the Men's Moguls and him winning the first gold was still certainly something to be proud of! Love the Olympics!! WOOHOO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sigh* Kitty is definitely my kind of people. Awesome excerpt. Love the story so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I like it. Kinda of reminds me of the MC in SOULLESS. I absolutely adored that book. So well done. I'd love to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH my, now I totally want to know what happens to her bum. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Olympics has totally wrecked my writing schedule, but other than that I'm loving every minute of it. Bilodeau was awesome.

    Did you see last night's Halfpipe? It was incredible. Shaun White nailed his first run to seal his gold and then he really turned on the heat when he did his Double McTwisty 1260 on the second. =oD He didn't have to do more than snowboard down the middle of the pipe and he went crazy.

    Okay, enough about that. Sorry to see you're stuck on a scene. If you need help, let me know. You know, of course, I loved the snippet. You've really got a good start there, Natalie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy- Thanks hun!! You made my day on Twitter =)

    Jen- Aww thanks!! Yeah, I feel confident in saying dialogue is my strong suit. I don't show it too much in this excerpt though. Yeah, it was. I've been watching all the Americans too-- I basically love seeing people succeed =)

    Jennifer- Thanks hun!!!

    Tina- LOL! Thanks =)

    Karen- Oh, yay! Thanks. I've never read it, but I've heard its really good. I'd give it to you to read, but I'm putting it on hold for a bit-- got stuck and I'm frustrated. So I'm going to let the muse out with another story.

    Jessica- LMAO!

    B.E.- Mine too. Oh well though, right? Only happens once every 4 years. I know! White was insane! No contest there. Thank youuu!

    Kanishk- Thanks. Do I know you from somewhere?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...