Wednesday, February 24

WIP Wednesday


Okay my lovelies, time for my weekly writing update. Now, I know I basically gave an overview of my week yesterday, but today I will go in a bit more detail about the actual writing and the two beta responses I got.

First off, writing is fun again. Woohoo! For a while there, I struggled big time to get even 100 words out a week. However, over the weekend I wrote roughly 3500 words (I haven't updated the bar on the side yet). Considering most of the weekend I was either distracted by the Olympics or researching, I am so happy with this number. If I keep that up every weekend, I'll fly by The Sound of Snow's number really quick!

I also spent a lot of time plotting this story. For my previous two stories I was a panster. But since that doesn't seem to be working out with me, I decided I'd plot a lot more. And so far, it's working!

Okay, now on to my beta responses. They were both pretty good so far. I knew the one was going to be more difficult to please since this is the genre she writes in *waves at Jennifer*, but I still think the comments were very positive. No big errors, just a few action cliches (running hand through hair, etc...) Overall, really easy fixes.

One thing I was surprised to see, however, was the request for more description! *squee* I LOVE writing description, so I am perfectly happy to oblige. I just need to add in more movements between the characters in the one scene and some basic "looks" description (another easy fix).

Oh, and my passive voice isn't as bad now. There were a few sentences (like, 3 I think) but my betas gave me suggestions on how to change them, and I went with it.

Overall, I am still giddy with excitement. I made it through a beta reading with two lovers of Medieval romance, one of which writes it, unscathed. I am so proud of myself *taps chest*

How is your story coming along?

13 comments:

  1. Passive voice is something I've struggled with for a long time, but now I can see it clearly and fix it right away. It only took a few years....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, new follower here. I had some problems as well with passive voice but fixed them in the editing process.

    I love your blog. I write Regency.
    I'm still a panster with some outlining tendencies. I can't yet bring myself to do a full outline, one that I can follow anyway.

    Congratulations on your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write fast. I'm so jealous! :)

    Your new WIP is coming along great. Kudos to you!

    I'm a panster who writes vague outlines. I've tried to do a full outline and it felt like too much work.

    This week I'm still doing rewrites, trying to create goals, conflict, and lots of tension in my opening scene. So far, so good (I hope).

    ReplyDelete
  4. My writing isn't coming along. I blame it on my work. It's just too much stress. Looking for a career change, pronto.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aubrie- lol well it's good that you can see it now =)

    Piedmont Writer- Hello! Thanks!! Yeah, I'm not doing a full outline, just more of one than I'm used to.

    Jennifer- LOL! Really? I thought I wrote really slow... Thanks =) Yay! How far are you in the story? Almost ready to query?


    Karen- thanks =)

    Tina- Aww I'm sorry. No kidding, I don't blame you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3500 is awesome. Congratulations. =o)

    Soon I'll be going through the phase of this WIP where I'll be tidying up - looking for passive/active, tweaking scenes, general proofing, etc. Right now, though, I'm just trying to keep my head down and finish this draft.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not ready to query. I'm in the middle, but have rewrites to still do on my opening chapters.

    Wish I had more time to write!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Querying one, and half way through the draft on another.

    ReplyDelete
  9. B.E.- Thanks! I was quite proud of meself (yep, accent day). Yay! I can't wait to read it =)

    Jennifer- Ahhh okay. I was a little confused about that earlier! If you ever need help... =)

    Patti- Woohoo! Any interest yet??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since switching to yWriter my WIP has had a kick in the pants. It is working well for me and has moved me up from draft to first edit.

    Your hook posts have been interesting, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm giddy that your giddy. Okay, maybe not giddy (too girly), how about pumped. Yeah...that works. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glynis- Woohoo!!!! That's very exciting =)

    DL- LOL! Yes, pumped sounds much more macho.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...