Sunday, May 2

Trying Something New


For the past several weeks, I've been contemplating whether or not to add a new POV in my story. For those who don't know, I am writing a medieval romance. Thus far, there have been two POVs: my heroine's and my hero's. However, I've been thinking about adding a Bad Guy POV. Now, I know a lot of people say don't do this for various reasons. But, quite frankly, I don't mind them as long as they're short, to the point, and useful/entertaining to the reader. In fact, I think it can add suspense if done right. For example, Monica McCarty has had several interesting Bad Guy POVs in her books whereas J. R. Ward's tend to be long and boring.*
.
So on Friday, I wrote a small scene testing it out. Once it was done, I sent it off to my mum-- my first line of defense. And guess what? She loved it! I only had to make a few minor changes, but other than that it was perfect. I kept it short-- not even 2 pages--and made it interesting. I won't write in that POV often, but I will put it in a few times to build suspense.
.
Have you ever written a Bad Guy POV? Have you read any that bugged you? Why did they bug you?
.
*I adore J. R. Ward's books, but I tend to skip her Bad Guy POVs because they're too long and not interesting.*

9 comments:

  1. I think if you like writing from that POV, it doesn't hurt to try it out. If it works, it works.

    I tend to write books more focused on internal conflicts that don't involve bad guys. But in the past, I did write from a bad girls POV once. I don't know as it was necessary, but I definitely enjoyed it. Something about trying out a new personality, getting to be someone different for a few scenes, helps stretch your writing skills and...at least for me, is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that writing from an antag's POV can be very useful. In my current WiP, there are things that go on that need to be shown to the reader but that my other characters are not privy to. Thus I have to write from one of my antag's POV. But, I do it one chapter at a time and then I go back to my regular POVs for an extended period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I wrote my Regency, I had a bad guy POV but his thoughts were all one or two lines throughout the book. We didn't actually meet him until the last 10 pages of the book when he did his bad guy thing.

    I think bad guy's POV are essential in some ways, I mean how are you going to know what happens and why, at the climax, if you don't know what's coming. Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome. You know me - whatever works for the story is fair game. I'm glad you enjoyed it and that your Mom said it works. =o)

    I love writing from the villain's POV. There's something about crawling around in the bad guy's skin that's a little freeing, I guess. Too bad I haven't had the need for it lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done you, so pleased it worked. I shall be experimenting with my next book too, moving from my safe first person to omniscient narrator. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the villain POV if it moves the story along and builds tension. If it works for your WIP, then do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great that the scene worked for you! My novels have lots of POVs, including the bad guys. I think it has worked all right. It's good to get into the head of the antag. One danger, though, is withholding information you don't want the reader to know, and that can feel unnatural. But I'm sure you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so boring, I've only done one POV so far, but that's my limited experience. It's great that a test read show it's working so far! Go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cindy- I agree, that's why I tried it. I figured that if it didn't work out, at least I learned something from the experience.

    I'm the same way, I had a lot of fun writing it =)

    Stephanie- Me too. Yeah, I plan on only having the Bad Dude's POV (sophisticated language, I know ;) a few times throughout. Since my story is a romance, I focus more on the relationship rather than the badguy stuff-- but it still needs to be there!

    Anne- Yeah, that can work well for a lot of stories. I dont like long bad guy POV's. They bore me to tears and then I dont take the bad guy seriously.

    B.E.- I AGREE! I had so much fun writing his POV, LOL! I felt like cackling =D

    Carole- Oh wow, that is a huge jump. What type of story are you going to use an omni narrator for? That's pretty old school, unless you write fantasy.

    Jennifer- Thanks =)

    Angie- That is a worry I had at first. You see, the badguy I did the POV with is only the instrument of someone else, so I had to sidestep that. So far it seems to have worked.

    Lydia- Haha that's not boring if it works for your story =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...