Saturday, June 26

BOOKS, GLORIOUS BOOKS!

Okay, so my mum and I went to Chapters (Canadian version of Barnes & Noble) and bought books. Lots and lots of books. We've been cooped up in the house because of the dog, so we needed to get away. And where better to get away then a bookstore? 

Mum got:
  1. Betrayed by P.C. Cast
  2. Hunted by P.C. Cast (we know this book is much later in the series, but it was on sale so she's stocking up)
  3. Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur
I got... (a lot more LOL):
  1. Graceling by Kristin Cashore
  2. The Fallen by Thomas E. Sniegoski (Spotted it in Walmart. Thought I'd give it a try).
  3. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
  4. Wake by Lisa McMann
  5. Evernight by Claudia Gray
  6. City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
  7. City of Glass by Cassandra Clare
  8. That Perfect Someone by Johanna Lindsey
  9. Twice Tempted by a Rogue by Tessa Dare
Okay and I also picked up some books for next semester. My reading list includes over 50 titles, so I thought I'd get a head start. A lot of the books (12 of them) are for a Children's Lit course, but that's still 12 books I need to read, LOL. Anyway, I picked up these 4 to start:
  1. Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
  2. Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers
  3. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
  4. The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
So... we bought a lot of books *bashful look*  I'm not even going to list all the movies and seasons of things we got. That might just be a bit too humiliating, LOL. Let's just say, Walmart is having a sale.  We'll probably go back and buy seasons of things and keep them to give as Christmas presents, that's how low the prices are.

I'd like to say thank you to Tina Lynn, Kristen YardRoni Griffin, Jonathon Arntson, and Jessica Brooks for answering my plea on Twitter about which YA books to pick up. You guys rock!

Have you guys read any of these books?

I am SO freaking excited for all of them! I seem to be in the mood for YA, so I'm running with it!  But don't worry, my reading hasn't harmed my writing at all. IN FACT, I wrote 2174 words in 1 hour and 45 minutes this afternoon! AND I LOVE WHAT I WROTE! How exciting is that?

14 comments:

  1. SOOOO jealous of your massive book shopping trip! I bought Demon's Lexicon tonight though :) Happy reading!! And let me know what you think about the books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you sound like me! In the last two weeks I've bought eight! (I am not even going to go there about the stack I have in my office of unread books. Shhhhh.)

    Hope you enjoy them. Make sure and share your thoughts about the age factor with the YA ones. My oldest is twelve, thinks she thirty-two, and I'm a strict parent, so it would be nice to know;)

    HAPPY READING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous. Funds aren't as flowing around here just because I'm saving up to have a bit of a cushion for the coming school year.

    Let's see. Of those on your list, one I've tried to read but just couldn't get into. It's being given to our local Good Will type store.

    Love The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. It's one of my very all-time favorites. (Though I love The Horse and His Boy more.)

    One of these days, perhaps just as soon as I finish this draft, I'll get to the rest of my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo! I love a good book binge. The only book on your buying list that I've read is the CS Lewis. I've been looking at the Tessa Dare, but I'm trying not to impulse buy books right now. Let me know if it's good so I have a reason to scoop it up. ;o)

    And congrats on your words. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work! Have a good time reading (and rewatching FRIENDS).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you made quite a haul! I've read the PC Cast books (although not the latest one.) Obviously, I've read Wake since that's the one I recommended to you and I heart the Mortal Instruments series--one of my favorites.

    Hope you enjoy them all and thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh I'm so jealous of your trip! Obviously I've read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (the whole series actually) and it's absolutely amazing. It's one of my all time favorites. I'm so excited for the next movie to come out.

    I've also read the House of Night series by P.C. Cast which I think is entertaining, but I also believe they have dragged out the series way too long. I think by this point they're only doing it to make money, which is really unfortunate to me because it was a decent series. But I've heard that the latest book is actually quite good, so I'm excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and I must also really recommend the Tea Rose and the Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly. It's a series (there's going to be a final third book I'm not sure when though) set in 19th century London and the first book is loosely based upon the Jack the Ripper killings. Mostly it's about one girl and how the killings affected her and how she made a new life for herself in America. It's absolutely wonderful and seriously you cannot put it down when you're reading it. Obviously I know you just but a BUNCH of books, but at least the Tea Rose should be put on your list of books to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun way to spend the day! You and your mum picked up some great reads. I can't wait to get the Tessa Dare book. I adore the Velveteen Rabbit. I haven't read Into The Wild, but I read Krakauer's other book, Into Thin Air, and liked it a lot. Happy reading!

    And great job on your WIP!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I'm jealous too. I have several of those on my to-read list. And what fantastic progress on you MS! More than 2000 words in less than 2 hours is AMAZING (especially if they're good!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kristen- Muah hahahaha =D Oh let me know if that one is any good. And of course I'll tell ya =)

    Jessica-Ahh the glories of buying books, eh? Yeah, I have a lot of unread books in my room. It's a bit frightening actually. Haha okay, I'll keep my eye out and do a few blog posts about them.

    Stephanie- Aww that sucks. Funds aren't really flowing here either (lol) but Chapters had a sale.

    B.E.- If you want to start on Tessa Dare, you can read her first series. I adored them. I think the first book is Goddess of the Hunt (it's red) and the next one is... *squints at shelf but cant see title* Uhm, well it's blue and the last one is a greeny/blue colour. That's sad, I know ;)

    Jonathon- Haha yep! I adore FRIENDS. I also got the first two seasons of THE GHOST WHISPERER.

    Roni- I don't know what I'm going to do when I finish TMI series. The next of that particular one doesnt come out till MARCH! *sobs* But she does have a new series coming out in August.

    Court- Lol, I think you've recommended that before. It sounds familiar.

    Jennifer- Thank you! Yeah, I'm pretty excited to read all of the books, even the school ones!

    Natalie- Thanks! I just sat down and before I knew it, I had over 2000! I love it when the words just flow like crazy. Makes my job so much easier ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm salivating at your list of books! How fun!
    And I can't believe you wrote that much in 45 minutes! I'm soooooo jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love buying books in bulk (and alliteration, apparently.)

    I haven't read any of the ones you mentioned except the kidlits -- though SHIVER has been patiently waiting on my TBR list for months.

    I'm heading to Half Price Books in a little while to sell back some of my books. (I'm feeling a little emotional just thinking about it. This is not going to be easy. Parting with books is such sweet sorrow...)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jennifer Shirk- Haha, so far the books are great! And it was an hour and 45 minutes. I wish Id written 2000 in 45!

    Amber- ME TOO! I get such a thrill I actually get giddy. I have to do that soon too. I only part with books I HATED, so I'm not too sad ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...