Wednesday, June 30

Writing Update

First, I just have to say that I twisted my ankle this morning. Daisy was bouncing around all excited because I had her leash and I made the mistake of trying to go down the porch stairs while she was all hyped up. She ended up getting in the way (which is common) and to avoid stepping on her, I stepped funny and twisted my ankle. Now it hurts like a biotch and it's all swollen and blech. It made writing a hot scene between my hero and heroine very difficult to focus on. I think I'll have to go back tomorrow and fix it up.

Anywho...

Medieval Romance:
Current word count: 55,157
Approximate length: 100,000
In the last 8 days, I've written: 17,157
That's 2144.6 words a day.
If I keep this up I should be done the first draft around July 21st. *crosses fingers*

Thoughts:

About a week ago I took over my family's tent trailer (I think Americans call them popups?) and set up camp. Every afternoon since, I've written in there. I can honestly say, that was the best decision I've ever made. There's something about being outside (for the most part) that calms me down so much. And with the small beige table and power, I'm comfy, so there's no worry about me stressing out my back or wrists.  Anyway, I'm pretty sure the wisdom of my choice is reflected in my word count. The best part is, I've had a beta read all but the last 3000 words and they love it! Woohoo!

Other writing news:

Okay, so some of you already know this, but I've decided to try my hand at writing a YA. I've been thinking about it for a very long time now and only recently started to take myself seriously. I mean, why can't I try to write one? So I spoke with my parents and Christopher and they agreed that as long as my Medieval doesn't fall to the wayside because of it, then I should try the YA. I agreed that I have to write 2000 words a day on my romance before I can work on the YA.

So Monday I spent the evening plotting and started it last night. I'm 2078 words in and I ADORE IT! However, I now understand why YA authors always seem so paranoid. I keep sitting here thinking, is this too similar to anything else? Oh, but my story has a party near the beginning and so does this other story! Crap, my story takes place in NYC too! And the action of my story begins in a somewhat similar manner to this story.

Basically what I've decided is to not worry about it. I've briefly mentioned what my YA is about to my darling Tina and she assures me my idea is completely unique--without being weird, LOL.  Therefore, I think there's no point in worrying about it. All teens have parties. Many stories take place in NYC-- because it's a cool place that could believably have weird stuff going on.  If I want my story to start quickly, I need the action to follow pretty quick, which means I don't have all that many options.

So how are your stories going? Have any of you ever tried to work on two stories at once? Am I insane?

8 comments:

  1. I'm finished! Woot! But I am doing some rewrites in the revision and sometimes I feel like I'm pantsing still (even though it's complete for the most part). But I think it's going fairly well. Can't wait to take a peek at your YA:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, your wordcount kicks ass and I am crazy proud of you!

    As for two stories, I've never tried that...I don't have the attention span for such things, but...I have a friend who felt particularly ambitious and had three projects going on at the same time. I think she eventually dropped one, but still wrote two stories at the same time without becoming too focused on one or the other. I believe the key is balance. If you set aside a time to write every day, then allocate half of that time for one story and half for the other. Set a timer to remind you to switch. Or maybe one day you can write on one story and on the next day write on the other.

    Good luck with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have three projects at the moment but am not making much progress on any of them because it's waaaaay too distracting.

    Good luck on the YA project--YA's a blast to write and you get to think like a teen again (it's easier to fall back into that stage than you think!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the awesome word count and trying a new genre!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's fun to see your progress! Your current WIP sounds fascinating! I know how much research that can take to write in such a time period. Good for you going after a YA! I think you'd do well, and it's always good to experiment. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the progress! It's always fun to see the word counts just climbing and climbing. Sorry about your ankle. Hope you start feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - great work, Natalie! I'm so impressed. If I could whip out 2,000 words per day, just think of all the picture books and chapter books I could finish! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tina- Woohoo! Haha yay, Im glad you're excited.

    Bexeth- Thanks!! That's what I'm doing right now. Mornings/afternoons are for my romance and evenings/nights are for my YA. Plus, I have to write 2000 on my romance to get to write my YA.

    Mary- Haha that sucks. I'm doing pretty well with it right now. I think it's because my stories are SO completely different in every aspect that I can get away with it. LOL I'm only 20, so technically I was a teen last year. It makes it way easier for me to fall back ;)

    Aubrie- Thanks!!

    Michelle- Thank you! Yeah, it does take a lot of research. Luckily, I have a lot of books on the subject, so I'm good. Plus, I'm minoring in history.

    Stephanie- I love watching the progress bar go shooting up =) And thank you!

    Shannon- Thank you! Haha yeah. Once I get into the groove I get crazy word #s out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...