Sunday, July 11

Review of Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Okay, so since I promised I would post reviews of the YA books I pick up, I thought I'd start with this one.


For author website, click here.

Genre: Ya Paranormal-esk?
Grade: 4/5

Back cover:

the cold.

Grace has spent years watching the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--watches back. He feels deeply familiar to her, but she doesn't know why.

the heat.

Sam has lived two lives. As a wolf, he keeps the silent company of the girl he loves. And then, for a short time each year, he is human, never daring to talk to Grace...until now.

the shiver.

For Grace and Sam, love has always been kept at a distance. But once it's spoken, it cannot be denied. Sam must fight to stay human-- and Grace must fight to keep him-- even if it means taking on the scars of the past, the fragility of the present, and the impossibility of the future.


My review:

I wasn't quite sure what to think when I started to read this book. For one, with werewolves involved I thought this would have more of a paranormal feel, but it doesn't. The voice is completely different from anything I've seen in the YA genre and it threw me off a bit. However, that being said, I loved this book. I read it in one sitting. The language is extremely poetic and enthralling. The plot is interesting and not at all what you'd expect. I enjoyed reading both Grace's POV and Sam's POV. I think it added more depth to both characters. I honestly cannot wait for July 20th when Linger, the second book in the series, comes out.

Additional Notes & Warnings:

I've heard from numerous people that Sam's character comes across as whiny and suicidal. I did not think he was either while reading the book. He's very poetic and a very sensitive YA hero, but I think it fit the character perfectly.

As well, since I promised to make a note of these sorts of things, there is sex in this book. It happens once and there is absolutely zero detail. The author does make a note of saying they did use protection in the next chapter, so these characters aren't stupid. Honestly, I had no problem with the sex. Teenagers are doing it, so it's not unrealistic to have it in a YA novel. At least Grace and Sam are in love.

Have you read Shiver? Did you enjoy it?

5 comments:

  1. I haven't read it, but I'm definitely putting it on to-buy list now. Thanks, Natalie. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read it, but I want to. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. B.E.- You're welcome =) I hope you like it. I think it's the sort of book you either love or hate. Let me know what you thought of it when you pick it up!

    Jennifer- You're welcome! Let me know what you thought when you do read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not seen it, will ask D1 to bring a copy over in Sept. Thanks for review, sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...