Sunday, April 24

Illegal Book Downloading

I don't like to talk about controversial subjects on my blog, but I simply cannot let this one slide... In the last few months I've noticed a disgusting trend beginning to crop up: illegal book downloading. As a writer and an avid reader, I am outraged that people are doing this. I mean, seriously? IT IS ILLEGAL. Would you walk into a bookstore and take 10 books and walk out without paying? No, of course you wouldn't, because it is ILLEGAL! Unless it is a website like Amazon, downloading books for free is illegal.  Now, there are some classics that are free to get online because the copyright has run out, but new books are copyrighted. You cannot download books for free from modern authors-- it is illegal.

Alright, I think I've ranted enough about that =)

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you, Nat. Stealing is unacceptable, and as writers it's definitely something we should pay attention to and condemn. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! For some reason people think that because something is digital that they can take it without paying. It hurts everyone when people steal - online or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Di- It is disgusting! It *is* stealing, but people dont seem to see it that way! They think anything they can find online for free is legal. It sickens me! And yes, I agree. As writers, we need to pay attention and spread the word against this!

    Sierra- I know!! It makes me sick. They dont seem to understand that its stealing--and that worries me. Its cliche to say this, but... what is this world coming to?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm 100% with you on that--it's frustrating and it just plain sucks. I was talking to somebody the other day that insisted that, since the author "wrote it for us" that means we "don't have to pay for it if we don't want to." I asked him if he'd walk into BAM and steal the book and he said, no, "that's where you go if you want to pay for it."

    People are jerks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is crazy. It is the same with movies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenna- Ergh, people suck. They feel entitled to everything now. It is sickening.

    Glynis- Yes! Ergh, people bug me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...