Thursday, July 14

Harry Potter: My Goodbye

Well, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II comes out in less than twenty-four hours now. In preparation for this monumental event, I decided to reread the seventh book. In some ways, I'm not sure why I did this-- it certainly wasn't enjoyable for me (I sobbed for the last two hundred pages of the book, not to mention the countless other times in the first five hundred or so pages). I could say that I picked it up simply to recall details of the story that had slipped my mind over the last few years; however, that's not really the truth. While I did wish to remember things I had forgotten, I decided to reread the book so I could prepare myself, mentally, to say goodbye to characters I loved and a world I will always cherish.


Some have called it the end of an era. I can certainly see why they would feel that way. In fact, in some small, heartbreaking way, it is the end. The books and the movies will live on for new generations, but the excitement of waiting in line for the next book or movie is over. I know it's not necessarily a bad thing, but it hurts nonetheless. Moving on is always the hardest.

I was eight years old when I first picked up Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I remember precisely when it happened--I was sick and unable to participate in my grade four music class. My teacher kept a stack of books in her room for just a moment like this. Lo and behold, Harry Potter was in that pile. From that moment on, I was entranced. I'm twenty-one now. For more than half of my life, Harry, Ron, and Hermione were my companions. Their world was my world. And in my own greedy way, I never wanted it to end. It was my childhood. They were my childhood.

Although there are numerous authors I owe for helping to inspire and guide me through my own writing (and life), J. K. Rowling will always, always, be my biggest influence. And for that, all I can say is thank you. I know you will never read this blog, but it doesn't matter. Thank you for having the courage to write Harry's story and for having the stubborn persistence to see it published. Thank you, for everything.

12 comments:

  1. That is so awesome. I've always wondered what it'd be like growing up with the HP series. I was already an adult when they came out and read the entire series while I was pregnant with my first child. I couldn't do much else because I was so uncomfortable, but those HP books kept me such great company.
    I know what you mean... it is bittersweet. But when you have your own kids, you can share the magic with them and enjoy it all over again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like PK said, I also was already an adult when the books came out, and it's so cool to hear what it was like for the younger generation to grow up with the books and have childhood shaped by them.

    A handful of friends and I are doing a blog ring this week of all HP-posts. Come check them out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written and very similiar to my emotions surrounding Harry Potter. For those of us who grew up with the characters, stood in line for hours just to get our hands on the books, this does mark the end of an era. It is deeply sad but a part of our lives we will never forget. Thanks for the post, reminds me that there are others out there like myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pk- Yeah, they're wonderful books. That's true! I never thought about that. Plus, the magic is never really gone. =)

    Laurel- I shall definitely come check it out!!

    Chasing empty pavements- Aww thank you! It really is the end. However, Im happy we got the chance to have these experiences. You're welcome =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sniff - sniff. Remember in the early days - when I had to wait for you to finish before I could read it too? As you got older it would only take you a few hours to get through them, however you had to hold your tongue until I was done too to talk about it!!! I'm not ready...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mum- Yes! Well, you didnt start to read the series until a few years after I'd started. I had to convince you and dad ;) Yeah, holding my tongue was the hardest part. I just wanted to talk about all of my predictions! Yeah, Im not ready. Tomorrow is going to be difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, how fun that you got in on it right at the beginning and at the intended age! I was an adult when I started the series. It was still AWESOME, but I would have loved to read them when I was a kid. They were so magical. I'll miss Harry too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Natalie- Yeah, it was wonderful. I already miss the gang =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was older when HP came out, and I'm reading many posts about people younger than me who grew up with the books. It's an interesting perspective. I remember certain fads, but nothing as literary or grand as HP. I enjoy the books as an adult, but I would have loved them as a youngster.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Medeia- Yeah. I'm not sure I'd classify HP as a fad though. That tends to mean it was only temporary and will eventually go away--but that hasn't happened yet, nor do I see it happening in the near future.

    I'm sorry you didn't get to read them as a child. But at least you still got to experience the magic!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still remember reading the first book - and the last. Actually, I put off the last one forever because I wanted to delay the end. Can't exactly do that with the movie, though, if you want to see it in a theater, can you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Caryn- I dont blame you for putting off reading the last book--in some ways, I wish I had too. You should definitely see the movie. It was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...