Thursday, September 22

Medieval Movies

As most of you know, I write medieval romance. It’s my favourite genre to read and watch.  Unfortunately, there aren’t that many medieval movies out there. I’m always doing research looking for more, but I’ve reached a dead end. So I thought I’d ask you guys. What are some of your favourite medieval-esk movies?  Below is a list of all the medieval movies I can think of. Not all of them are strictly medieval, but you get the idea =)

Movies I Own:
  1. A Knight’s Tale
  2. Beowulf  (meh)
  3. Black Death (meh)
  4. Braveheart 
  5. Centurion
  6. Elizabeth
  7. Elizabeth II
  8. Ever After
  9. Gladiator
  10. In the Name of the King (awful)
  11. Ironclad
  12. King Arthur
  13. Kingdom of Heaven
  14. Lord of the Rings 1-3
  15. Man in the Iron Mask
  16. Monty Python and The Holy Grail
  17. Monty Python's Life of Brian
  18. The Musketeer (awful)
  19. Pirates of the Caribbean 1-4
  20. Princess Bride
  21. Robin Hood (new one)
  22. Robin Hood Men in Tights
  23. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
  24. Spartacus: Blood and Sand
  25. Shakespeare in Love
  26. Sword of War (awful)
  27. The Tudors: Seasons One to Four
  28. 10 Commandments
  29. 300
  30. Troy
  31. Tristan and Isolde
Movies I Want To See:
  1. Arn: The Knight Templar
  2. The Borgias (tv show)
  3. The Eagle (I'm not sure about this one...)
  4. Game of Thrones
  5. The Last Legion
  6. Pillars of the Earth
  7. Red Cliff
  8. 13th Warrior
  9. Valhalla Rising
Movies I Refuse To Own:
  1. Camelot (TV show): Arthur looks like a rat. IMO, the trailer made it look awful. However, if you can convince me otherwise, I might check it out.
  2. Clash of the Titans: I saw this and HATED it.
  3. Prince of Persia: The main girl is in Clash of the Titans and I despised her lol.
  4. Robin Hood (TV show): I started it and lost interest--it was cheesy IMO.
  5. Rob Roy: GAH! I hated this movie. No, I loathed it.
Can you think of any other medieval movies I should try? I'm open to TV shows, too!

12 comments:

  1. Oh boy that is quite the list. I don't have any suggestions, but Pillars of the Earth was FANTASTIC. Book and mini-series! I also saw Camelot and it was actually pretty good. I'd say give it an episode or two at least!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about Showtime's Camelot - I couldn't watch it because of the actor playing Arthur. Ick!

    Try Lady Jane with Helena Bonham Carter and Carey Elwes. Or how about The Mists of Avalon? I haven't seen it, so can't say if it's any good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Court- Lol, Im mildly obsessed with medieval-esk movies. Erm... I dont know... Arthur looks like a rat... *hums and haas*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jena- Yeah, I saw the trailer on youtube and actually started laughing. He looked ridiculous. Like a spoiled rat who lost his favourite chew toy.

    Ooo, thanks for the suggestions. I actually havent seen it either. Perhaps I should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know. I feel like that he was one of the main reasons why I didn't love the show. Which makes it a little difficult considering he's the main character and all...haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ack, I hear ya sister. Medieval pop culture is ruling my life at the mo - I swear I've watched every interpretation of Robin Hood a dozen times, including all 3 seasons of the BBC version (I agree - tres cheesy. And so many inaccuracies!).

    I'm a big fan of Pillars of the Earth. Have you watched HBO's Rome? It's pretty amazing, if a bit overload-y on the sex and violence (as all HBO shows are...).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Court- Yeah, agreed. He just looked like such a skeezy guy lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Caitlin- Yes! I tried so hard to get into that show, but I just couldnt do it.

    No, I havent watched Rome. I was into The Tudors instead, but Ive heard good things about it. Perhaps Ill check it out =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you tried Camelot - the musical? Parts of it are good. (Although Guinevere is... not redeemable... through most of it.) Also, there was a movie made of the Gawain and the Green Knight myth - with Sean Connery as the Green Knight. It was pretty campy, but I enjoyed it.

    I read Pillars of Earth, but I haven't seen it yet. I'm a little leery of watching the movie versions of books I liked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. B.E.- No, I havent. Im not a huge fan of musicals (much to my future MIL's dismay lol). I love the Gawain myth (I named my late beta fish Gawain. He was a fearsome little fishy!) Yeah, I can understand that. However, everyone has said they loved it... so its probably worth checking out =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I don't have any titles to add to this list, but I -love- Game of Thrones. Thanks for posting this; I know where to look when I'm in the mood to watch a medieval! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...