Thursday, September 1

One Week Until My Final Semester of University!!!

That's right, the countdown is on!  In exactly one week, I start my final semester of university as an English major, History minor. Cue the screaming!  I can't believe I'm so close to the end now. It feels like just yesterday I was heading over to my first class, so nervous I could've peed myself (but I didn't!).  When I started, I was only 17 years old. Looking back, I can admit I was pretty naive.  University is so much more than textbooks and assignments; it's a way of life.  Having grown up in small town Alberta, I had no idea what I was in for.

That first year was the worst. I tried to fit in with my roommates, but I quickly realized I wasn't the party type. I didn't like to drink (drinking age in Alberta is 18), nor did I want to go to the clubs or hook up with boys. To my way of thinking, I was in university to go to class and get good grades. Unfortunately, this often put me at odds with my roommates. After three years living in residence, I made the decision to stay home for my fourth year.  Some people have asked me whether or not I hold any hard feelings towards the dozen roommates (plus their friends) that I had, but the truth is... I don't. In some strange way, I miss a few of them. In fact, I've even stayed in contact with one. But the others? I will never be friends with any of them, but I still wish them the best. In the end, we were completely different people. Not much you can do to change that.

Now I'm in my final semester of school. Truth be told, I have mixed feelings about this. In some ways, I feel like the cat in the picture. It's like, OMGTHISISTHEBESTDAYEVER! But on the other hand, I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to miss school. University has been a major part of my life for 4 years (4 and a half by the time I'm done this semester). I'm going to miss my friends, my professors, and my classes. Then again, I'LL BE A UNIVERSITY GRADUATE!  Can't exactly complain about that, eh?  ;)

Did you guys have mixed feelings when you finished university?  How did you get through it?  Any advice?

8 comments:

  1. You're starting your last semester and my daughter's starting her first. Where did the time go?

    Congratulations on making it all the way through. Nail this semester shut and step out into the rest of your life.

    I don't remember much about leaving college. My priorities and focus were elsewhere. Looking back now, though, I wish I'd stayed and gotten my degree. That piece of paper would've made everything so much smoother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. B.E.- I know, its absolutely crazy. Is she enjoying her classes so far? Im heading over to your blog in just a few to get caught up on everything. I've been terribly neglectful of blog reading, lmao.

    Thank you!!! Im very excited. I just want to finish this sucker so I can strut around ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!

    Yes, I had mixed feelings too. I didn't know what I'd do with my degree, so I got a job not related to History in the meantime. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theresa- Hello! Thank you =) Oh, were you a History major? That's cool! What period is your favourite?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck for the future, Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My last year was a bit stressful. It sure goes by quickly, so enjoy it. All the hard work is worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jena- Yeah, I can't believe how quickly it seems to have gone by! Crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...