Friday, February 3

Facebook Page or Facebook Profile?

Okay, so for the past few weeks, I've been contemplating making the jump from a public profile to a private one. Although I still have the usual security settings so someone can't just stalk me, I generally accept most friend requests from writers or other publishing professionals. However, as my wedding draws nearer, I've come to the realization that I don't want all of my personal pictures plastered for all and sundry to see. While they are never inappropriate, I just don't want everyone to see them. I'd like to be able to pick and choose which pictures the public can access.

Which brings me to the point of today's post.  After doing a bit of research, I found out that it is against Facebook policy to have two accounts--regardless if one is under a pseudonym and the other is your real name. Therefore, that reduces the number of options I have. I can keep my profile the way it is and just not post pictures, or I can make it private and lose the Facebook connection with writers.

However, there is one other option. I could always create a Facebook page. It's not as interactive, in my opinion, but it would still give me the web presence I want.  Now, my question for you is... Do you think a pre-published writer should have a Facebook page? I've heard on a few forums that it's arrogant and "jumping the gun," but I'm not sure I agree. So I want your opinion on the matter!

Do you think it's okay for a pre-published writer to have a Facebook page instead of a Facebook profile? Why or why not?  Do you have any other suggestions for me that could help me with this predicament?

6 comments:

  1. Good topic! I know a few pre-published authors who have pages instead of profiles. Nothing wrong with that, IMO. I contemplated switching from a profile to a page, but decided to wait until I get published. As you know, I have two separate FB accounts: one under my pen name and one under my own name. The accounts were created with separate email addresses. I accept most friend requests on my author profile, but keep my personal profile private. I like it that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is strange, I have two accounts and both in my own name. I have one purely for family and friends, and the other for my writing friends. I just remembered, I use a different email address for each maybe that is how I get away with it.

    I am not sure about the page situation as I am not published, and feel I would like to be before I set one up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :shrug: I have two profiles. One for my online presence and one so family and friends I've lost touch with can find me. I guess I missed that part of their terms and conditions. And I know I've heard published authors talking about having more than one page - one for personal, one for private - because that's where I got the idea.

    I wouldn't worry too much about it, Nat. I think FB has that in there so people don't create alternate accounts to spam people with. But if you want to set up a page, I don't think it's arrogant. It's just smart. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jena- Oh yeah! I forgot you had two. D'oh! I just dont like how limiting a facebook page is. I really want that interaction with people, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glynis- Huh, I guess Facebook isn't too strict about it--good to know!!! Thank you for chiming in =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth- Yeah, I guess you're right. I think I'll just make another profile for writing. I would do the page, but as I said to Jena, I don't like how limiting it is. I want that interaction with people that you can only get with a profile =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...