Friday, November 9

Movie of the Week: Centurion




Rated: R
Directed by: Neil Marshall
Time: 97 Minutes
Release Date: 2010

Blurb:

CENTURION is a gripping survival set in early AD Britain. Quintus (Michael Fassbender), the sole survivor of a savage raid on a Roman frontier fort, marches north with General Virilus' legendary Ninth Legion, under orders to wipe out the terrifying tribes known as the Picts. When the Legion is ambushed on unfamiliar ground, and Virilus seized, Quintus faces a desperate struggle to survive behind enemy lines with a small band of soldiers in a race to save their general and evade capture, torture and certain death.

My Opinion:

I have always been fascinated by the legend of the Ninth Legion. For those who aren't familiar with the story, it is rumoured that the Ninth Legion marched north to fight the Picts and were never seen again. Nearly five thousand men--gone. Historians and archaeologists have searched all over northern Britain for evidence, but they've come across nothing. Of course, the lack of evidence has led to other scenarios, but none of them have held up under scrutiny.

For that reason, I was very excited when I found out the plot of CENTURION. Trust me when I tell you, it's a really good movie. The costumes are perfect, the cinematography is stunning, the music is moving, and the plot is fascinating. Since it isn't a big Hollywood film, the director was able to get away with a lot more violence. I know a lot of people don't like this, but it makes the movie feel quite accurate and real. None of the violence was overdone, so don't worry about that. Now, I will admit that I was worried about trying a low budget film, but I was pleasantly surprised. It is one of the best "medieval" movies I've seen in a very long time.

Trailer:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...