Sunday, December 30

2012 Goals Reviewed


Hello everyone!

I thought today I would post my goals from 2012. I was positive I had posted them here last year, but I can't seem to find them. Anyway, here they are listed below. Some of them aren't really goals so much as events I needed to finish planning. As you can see, my goals for last year were a tad outrageous. I would have needed a personal assistant to accomplish all of them. Oh well, I dream big ;)

If something is in red, I did not accomplish them this year. In brackets will be my explanation--if I have one.

 Writing

--Finish A Highlander’s Ransom (*sighs*)

--Write query letter for A Highlander's Ransom

--Write a synopsis for A Highlander's Ransom

--Buy domain name and create a website (I wanted to wait until I was done another book before I distracted myself with this).

--Query A Highlander’s Ransom

-- Order new business cards (need to have a website address first)

--Join Virginia Romance Writers group (still not sure I will join a face-to-face chapter again)

--Join Hearts Through History (I don't know why I haven't done this yet...)

--Read more than 118 books (Hah, I've barely had time to sleep)

--Renew RWA membership in America

--Create Tumblr background (ended up deleting Tumblr—served no purpose)

--Join Celtic Hearts

--Become more involved in RWA

--Switch over Facebook profiles so I have a private and a public one

--Renew my RT membership

--Blog more often

Personal

--Take my driver’s test (I believe I posted about this earlier in the year)

--Finish my degree and graduate! (Squee!)

--Do everything needed to get my Fiance Visa (I succeeded in my Fiance Visa, but now I'm waiting for my Green Card)

--Finish planning the wedding & get married!

--Pack up everything and move to Virginia!

--Work out & lose weight (I don't know why I always insist on putting this on my list every year since all of the experts say NOT to do this. However, I'm going to count this as a partial win because I originally wrote it down out of fear that I would suddenly gain 20 lbs and not fit in my wedding dress. I did, however, fit perfectly in my dress and have not gained any weight throughout the year, so it's win-win, really).

--Keep everything organized (By this I meant that I would send birthday cards to everyone and stay on top of things). 

--Work on resume & apply for jobs in Virginia (Unfortunately, I am not allowed to work since I don't have my Green Card, so working on my resume has not been a top priority, and obviously, neither has applying for jobs).

So there you have it! Those were my goals for 2012. As you can see, my writing goals fell to the wayside a bit, but I'm not beating myself up about it. I had a lot going on in 2012 and it would be foolhardy of me to blame myself. 

I also thought it would be interesting to post a few things I accomplished over 2012 that I didn't expect:

--After joining Celtic Hearts, I was approached to be a judge for our Golden Claddagh contest. I was shocked--and flattered. The person who approached me mentioned that my experience as an English major and History minor would be a great asset to the contest and that they would love it if I could help out. So, of course, I did. I both loved and hated it. I loved it because I have a strange love of critique--I like to make things all shiny and clean, even if it's not my own work. However, I also disliked it because I received some truly awful entries that I had to slog my way through. And, of course, you have to be polite even when I wanted to shake the author through my computer screen. 

--On the tails of the Golden Claddagh contest, another Celtic Hearts member contacted me about possibly joining a committee in Celtic Hearts. After checking with everyone, I was placed on the Newsletter Committee to help out. In my goals I had put that I wanted to be more involved in RWA, but this was a bit more than I'd originally planned for. Still, I am enjoying it thoroughly.

--This isn't something I "accomplished" but my husband and I had to deal with a lot of illness in the family this year. Pawpaw had a major surgery and ended up in ICU for several months (and missed the wedding because of it). That took an emotional and physical toll on the whole family, especially my mother-in-law and aunt-in-law who spent the majority of their summer driving between Roanoke and Staunton (and the UVA medical facility in Charlottesville). As well, Granny has been in a lot of pain because of herniated discs, so we've all had to step in to help take care of her. On my side of the family, we had to deal with my dad having skin cancer and my mum struggling with the nerve pain in her legs. It's been a lot of stress, but everyone seems to be doing a bit better. People are healing and others are going in for tests etc..., which is the most we can ask for right now.

--As some of  you might know, I am a neat freak. I don't know why, but everything has to have a place and be in its place or I go a little crazy. I'm not as bad as I used to be, but it's still pretty bad. Therefore, moving into a townhouse with everything in boxes was a little difficult for me, especially with a husband who is...not as organized as I am ;)  I spent a very long time unpacking everything and trying desperately to find a spot for it. We could really use a basement or an attic (or even a tiny shed out back), but alas, we do not. If we did, that would help solve some of our space issues. We have a townhouse that is over 1000 sq ft, but we have a lot of stuff already, especially furniture! 

--My husband and I were also involved in a Venturing Crew for a few months as advisors  but it seems to have fallen to the wayside.  I am not entirely displeased with that, since I wasn't enjoying myself to begin with. 

--My husband and I adopted a puppy. Although this may not seem like a lot, it has taken up a considerable amount of my time. I adore him, but Powell can be a handful!

So there you have it! Tomorrow I will post my goals for 2013.

4 comments:

  1. You had a hell of a year, Nat. You can be proud of everything you accomplished. And it was a lot. Maybe it's because you dream big that you can get so much done. =o)

    :hugs:

    ReplyDelete
  2. B.E.- Lol yes, yes I did. Looking back on all of it I wonder how I managed to survive without more breakdowns, LOL! Maybe. Sometimes I think I'm crazy to put so much down on my lists, but it's not like I get mad at myself if I fail. =)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful year with so many wonderful accomplishments! Marriage and a degree--that's huge.

    Don't beat yourself up on the stuff in red. It was a massive undertaking of a list. It's just great that you are holding yourself accountable. Heck, I didn't even make a list last year. And I accomplished just that. Well, I did graduate this year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A.J.- Yes, it was a huge year for me. I think I underestimated how busy I was going to be. Oh well! Such is life. =)

    Yeah, I don't beat myself up for things I didn't finish. I had a huge year and I'm proud of what I accomplished. =)

    Congrats on graduating this year!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...