Wednesday, December 12

Dropbox: A Writer's Must Have




Hello all!

I don't know if any of you have heard about this program, but one of my very best friends introduced me to Dropbox a few months ago. For those who have never heard of it, it's a free program that you can install on your computer or phone where you can backup your files instantly. You can also just use the web version, but I've found it's a bit slower.

Unlike other backup programs, Dropbox allows you to access your files anywhere so long as you have internet. This means that if you save your story in Dropbox, you can access it on a friends computer just by logging into your account online. You can also create a "shared" folder within Dropbox that allows you to share files or pictures with your friends.* Thanks to my techy husband, I have also downloaded the Dropbox app on my fancy shamncy Android phone, which means I can access my files anywhere.

Since it is free, you only get so much storage in the beginning (2GB), so you can't store your whole computer on Dropbox. However, the more you use it, the more storage space you get. I'm currently up to 4 GBs. I keep my "to do" files, along with my current stories right on Dropbox. When I'm done working on them, I just hit save and it updates Dropbox instantly (it acts as just another folder on your computer).

As well, whenever I take a picture with my phone, that picture is instantly sent to my Dropbox account, thereby backing it up even if something happens to my phone. Pretty cool, huh?

Even if you don't use it daily like I do, you could still try it out as a weekly place to backup your stories. I think everyone has faced the possibility of losing their files, so you can never be too safe!

What do you think? Is Dropbox something you'd try? Do you already use Dropbox?

*This would be perfect for critique partners.*
**I have no affiliation with Dropbox. All opinions are my own.**

2 comments:

  1. My hubby uses Dropbox. I never thought to use it for writerly purposes. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen- I know! I didn't think about it before either. My friend used it for university and I knew about it all along, I just never considered using it for writing =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...