Friday, December 7

Movie of the Week: Tristan & Isolde



Rated: PG-13
Directed by: Kevin Reynolds
Time: 125 minutes
Release Date: January 13, 2006

Blurb:

From executive producer Ridley Scott (Gladiator) comes a sweeping, action-packed saga of epic battles, political intrigue and forbidden passion, set in a time when the lines between heroism and savagery were etched in fire and carved out with broadswords. After the fall of Rome, visionary warlord Marke (Rufus Sewell) seeks to unite the squabbling English tribes to form one strong nation and defeat the brutal Irish king Donnchadh. But when Lord Marke's greatest and most loyal knight, Tristan (James Franco), falls in love with Isolde (Sophia Myles), a beautiful Irish woman, it threatens to destroy the fragile truce and ignite a war. In the spirit of Braveheart and A Knight's Tale, Tristan & Isolde is a rousing tale of trust and treachery that will leave you breathless!

My opinion:

I'm going to preface this by admitting that I haven't watched this movie in a long time. I freely admit that I am a very emotional person. Well, for anyone who knows the legend behind Tristan & Isolde, the ending won't be a surprise for you--and you'll understand why I don't always like watching this movie. It is a beautiful love story (although they take a few liberties with the ending). Again, for anyone who knows their legends, this is the same Tristan who apparently fights with King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.

Anyway, the costumes are beautiful, the music is stunning, and the acting is powerful. I would recommend this movie to any history lover, although I am going to warn you that you will probably cry.  However, it is worth watching, especially if you're a romance writer. That might seem strange to some, but I think romance writers need to see the pain the hero and heroine can go through if they aren't allowed to be together.

Trailer:


10 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite movies, Natalie - and thanks for reminding me, I haven't watched it in a very long time. It is tissue worthy and James Franco - *heavy sigh* - and the twists and turns - and the despair of star-crossed lovers...

    OK, I'm pulling out my copy tonight and watching again. I do love this movie (as a writer of medieval romance, I find it to be inspiring, too). Ooh, and then I'm going to pull out my copy of A Knight's Tale and watch it. Bring on the popcorn :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own and love this movie. The acting is terrific, the despair is powerful, and the costumes are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! This is a wonderful and powerful movie! It does have a sad ending, but the passion, angst and emotion leading up to it is awesome. If you know going in that it will have a tragic ending, it's a little easier to take IMHO. I especially love the part where they're in Ireland and falling in love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet- I love this movie too. Yeah, it is tissue worthy. I didn't know you wrote medieval romance! What period and country do you write in??

    Hehehe, great minds think alike. I was just thinking of watching A Knight's Tale too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen- I agree. I wish it wasn't such a sad movie--I'd like to watch it more often than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vonda- Thank you for stopping by!! I agree. I don't like watching movies if I'm not sure whether the ending is happy or sad. I need to prepare myself ahead of time if it's sad. I think that's why I love reading and writing romance so much--the happy ending is guaranteed.

    Oh, me too. I think the part in Ireland is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Natalie - Just back to answer your question: England in the fourteenth century (so far).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the story, saw the movie once. I'm using the story in my WIP. The hero, a teacher, adapts it into a play for his students.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet- Ooo, that's interesting! My first novel was set in England and Jerusalem in 1213 =) The novel I'm working on right now is set in the Highlands of Scotland in 1490.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ana- I love the story too. I think it's more powerful than Romeo and Juliet, but a lot of people don't know the legend. Of course, I adore everything about King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, so it's no surprise that I love Tristan ;)

    Oh, that sounds interesting! So you're writing a contemporary?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...