Hello all! I thought I'd do a bit of an update again today =)
- I have finally booked my interview and physical for my Fiancé Visa in Vancouver! Yay!! It was a lengthy process, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope everything goes smoothly *knocks on wood* My mum and I will be flying out on June 5 and returning June 7. We'll be pretty busy while we're there, but I hope we can still do a bit of site seeing. I've been to Vancouver before, but its been a few years.
- My dress consultant called me the other day to tell me that my wedding dress is in! How exciting is that?! Too bad I can't go see it =( Oh well. I did, however, go ahead and book my alterations appointment for the beginning of July.
- As for other wedding things, I've booked my bridal portrait shoot, as well as my meeting with the florist. In addition to that, I also booked all of the beauty appointments for the wedding day (it took forever on the phone--over 30 minutes). It is NOT easy to book several different things for four women. I don't recommend it, LOL!
- I have opened Struck again! Woohoo!! In two days I wrote over 1200 words! It's not much, but it's a lot more than I'm used to! It was so easy--I didn't even notice how quickly it happened. I wanted to work on AHR, but I'm not going to complain about new words! =)
- For the past week I've been a judge for an RWA writing contest. I'm not going to say which contest,* but suffice it to say, it's been really fun! I can't wait to share what I've learned with you guys =)
Alright, on to the fun stuff! I decided to save the best for last....
One of my good friends (and occasional critique partners), Diana Paz, announced some amazing news earlier this week. Not only is she being published in the anthology Felt Tips under the name Diana Cruz, but she just signed a publishing contract with Rhemalda!!!!!!!!!!!! OMGOMGOMGOMG! I am sooooo excited for her! I was blessed to read Twists of Fate when she was still working on it, and let me tell you, it's very good. I can't wait to see this baby in print! =) Congrats, hun--you deserve it!! <3 xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo.
So what have you guys been up to??
*I'll tell you guys which contest once the winners have been announced ;)*
So after much deliberation, Christopher and I have decided to buy a house.* Cheers all 'round! I've finally got the FH on board, which makes me very happy. My parents and I used to rent when I was younger, so I have no desire to repeat the experience if I can avoid it.
Unfortunately, our house shopping experience is going to be a bit one-sided. Since I don't have my Fiance Visa yet, and we aren't made of money, I won't be able to go see the houses before we make an offer. All I can do is look at the websites and pray the FH and his father make a good decision. No pressure or anything, LOL!
At the moment, we have one favourite that I nicknamed Castle because it's a big brick Tudor and, you guessed it, looks like a castle. There are a few others that have potential, but we'll just have to wait and see.
However, while looking at some house pictures the other day, I came across the photo below. I don't know about you guys, but I wonder if the creeper in the window comes with the house, LOL! Not sure that's a real selling feature for me....
So there you have it! I'm rather scared about buying a house, but I imagine I'd be a fool not to be. When did you buy your first house? Did you have troubles finding one that worked for you?
*We've waffled back and forth on this for quite a while. Houses in Virginia are incredibly cheap by Albertan standards, so it just seems wise to buy now while we can. However, we were worried about taking on too much responsibility right off the bat. And yet, that seems to be how we do things lol.
**FH = Future Husband.
***I make no claim to the above picture. I found it on Realtor.com while scrolling through houses.
So I decided to do an update today. I haven't done one of these in a while, so it might be a bit long--sorry! =)
To start things off, I'm going to post a picture of my cat getting her nails clipped...
No, I kid you not. That's my cat lounging in my mums arms while her Claws of Doom are trimmed. We've always found her laidback attitude amusing, but she was extra relaxed on Sunday. I mean, look at her! She looks like she's about to fall asleep!
-I received a letter of approval from the United States Consulate in Vancouver two weeks ago. I have made it past several stages so far, which is a good sign. I just have to fill out a million forms (which I've been doing for the past few days...), and then I'll be able to book my interview and physical. Unfortunately, both need to be done in Vancouver. So guess what that means? Yep, I'll be taking a wee bit of a trip sometime in the next few months lol. As you can imagine, I wasn't pleased when I found out, but there's nothing I can do about it. I just hope I can schedule both of them in the same trip. Otherwise, I'll have to fly to Vancouver... twice. Oy.
-As you know, my Bridal Shower went really well. I had a lot of fun and I think everyone who went had a blast =) Well, this past week I've been checking things off of my wedding registries, uploading pictures to Facebook, and writing thank you notes. It's been fun =) The picture to the right is of my signed apron!
-I had a bit of a spending "spree" this weekend. I ordered two university hoodies, a university mug, my bridal jewellery (squee!), the bridesmaids' big "surprise" gift, and... MY WEDDING INVITATIONS! WOOHOO! I'm very excited about it. I ordered examples back in March and LOVED them, so I'm excited to get the complete set now =) I'll post pictures when they arrive!
-This one is extremely random, but I've learned that my cat loves cucumbers and orange peppers. We knew she loved cucumbers, but the orange pepper was a surprise....
-I don't know when I last gave an update on my writing, so I'll just give a brief overview. I'm now at 26, 529 words. It's not nearly where I wanted to be (not even close), but I'm trying to cut myself some slack. I need to take into consideration how busy--and stressed--I've been before I start berating myself. I still love my story, which is all that matters. I'll just keep chugging along until I finish this sucker lol.
-I know I've mentioned it before, but I went and had my university graduation pictures taken a few weeks ago. The proofs just came in and they're really nice! Seeing them makes me realize how close I am to "officially" graduating. In one month, I'll be walking across the stage to accept my degree. I have a feeling I'll cry--as will both of my parents. I don't see how we couldn't. Finishing university is a huge accomplishment for me and my family.
- I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but one of my bridesmaids (Kelsey) is up for valedictorian at our university. We don't know if she's going to get it yet, but I really hope she does. I think it would be so cool to have one of my best friends be the valedictorian of my university for 2012!
Kelsey & I at the Bridal Shower =)
So there you have it! A quick update on what I've been up to =)
How have you guys been? Any weird cats in your family?? Any difficulties with the government? Any writing news?