Friday, January 11

Movie of the Week: Becoming Jane



Rated: PG-13
Directed by: Julian Jarrold
Time: 120 Minutes
Release Date: August 10, 2007

Blurb:

Anne Hathaway gives a radiant performance as a young, love-struck Jane Austen in the witty and engaging romantic comedy Becoming Jane from Miramax Films. It's the untold romance that inspired the novels of one of the world's most celebrated authors. When the dashing Tom Lefroy, a reckless and penniless lawyer-to-be, enters Jane's life, he offends the emerging writer's sense and sensibility. Soon their clashing egos set off sparks that ignite a passionate romance and fuel Jane's dream of doing the unthinkable--marrying for love. Becoming Jane, also starring the acclaimed Maggie Smith, James Cromwell, and Julie Walters, is an enchanting and imaginative film you'll fall head over heels for.


My Opinion:

As a writer, this movie resonated with me a lot. Although we aren't hindered by the social rules of the early 1800s, we still face difficulties as writers. For this alone, Becoming Jane is one of my favorite movies. I adore everything Regency, and the story of Jane Austen is a perfect Regency love story. Of course, if you know your Jane Austen history, you know how this movie is going to end. I won't give anything away, but the film is beautiful and poetic. The costumes are gorgeous, the music is inspiring, and the story is heart-wrenching.  I also adored James McAvoy in this movie--he is the perfect bad boy for Jane Austen. He has the hot Irish accent, the messy hair, and he dresses like a Regency God.

Filled with an all-star cast, Becoming Jane is a wonderful introduction to Jane Austen's life. If you don't know much about her, or her books, you should definitely check out this movie.

Trailer:



6 comments:

  1. I love this movie (am discovering we like a lot of the same movies, Natalie) - and I usually pair it with The Jane Austen Book Club when I do a double feature (lots and lots of Jane Austen). If I'm really feeling crazy - I go for the triple bill and want Pride and Prejudice afterward (the one with Keira Knightly).

    Hmmm, might be an Austen night, tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet- Cool! Well, if you ever have any movie suggestions, I'm always open to new movies!

    I LOVE the new Pride & Prejudice! Such a good movie =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, can't believe I missed this one...Queue-ing it up on Netflix to watch with the Teen Drama Queen next time we get a Mom/TDQ movie night...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I own this movie. I love this movie. I love the actors. I love the costumes. I love the story. I think I need to watch it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen- We seem to have the same taste in movies! I love this movie too, but I can't watch it all that often. Too emotional ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...