Friday, January 18

Movie of the Week: The Eagle




Rated: PG-13
Directed by: Kevin Macdonald
Time: 114 Minutes
Release Date: February 11, 2011

Blurb:

In 2nd-Century Britain, celebrated Roman soldier Marcus Aquila (Channing Tatum) embarks on a dangerous quest to restore the tarnished reputation of his father and find the golden emblem that disappeared with him and thousands of troops twenty years earlier. But the highlands of Caledonia are a savage wilderness, and Marcus must rely on his embittered slave, Esca (Jamie Bell), to navigate the perilous region. Their journey pushes them beyond the boundaries of loyalty and betrayal, friendship and hatred, deceit and heroism. Donald Sutherland co-starts in this gripping, gritty, action-packed adventure from acclaimed director Kevin Macdonald.

My Opinion:

I have to start by saying I was a little worried about this movie. Although I think the trailer (shown below) looks awesome, I was confused by the African looking tribesmen. I know they were going for the Seal People--a group of legendary warriors known in Scottish mythology (Selkies)--but I didn't understand why they would be African. For that reason alone, I put off watching this movie for several months. After a while, my mum found it in the discount bin at Wal-Mart, so I thought I'd give it a try. And let me tell you, I was not disappointed. This movie is epic. It starts out a bit slow, but any history lover will overlook that. The costumes were fantastic, the music inspiring, and the scenery... My God, the scenery was stunning. I loved how the movie focused on the relationship between the Romans and the Celts by looking at the master-slave construct.

In any case, my main concern about the Seal People turned out to be unfounded, since they don't look that way in the actual movie. I strongly suggest you give it a try. It also ties in nicely with CENTURION, which focuses on the Ninth Legion, whereas THE EAGLE takes place twenty years later. So if you're looking for movies to watch this weekend, I highly suggest both! =)

Trailer:


6 comments:

  1. Ooh, thanks for the recommend, Natalie - I don't think I've come across this movie on my radar, but have now added it to my 'must see' list! I love me a good historical epic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet- Good, I'm glad I was able to suggest one to you! It was one of those movies that surprised me =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started to watch that one a few months ago, because, yanooh, my boyfriend's in it. Then life interrupted me, and I didn't get back to it.

    Huh.

    I'll have to look for it again, because my boyfriend's feelings will be hurt if he knows I haven't seen all of his movies, and a pouting Channing Tatum is--Okay, he's hot no matter what mood he's in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teri- Heheh. I'm guessing you're a fan of Magic Mike?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of this one, but haven't seen it...yet. I need to add it to my rental list. If you like it, I'm sure to like it too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen- Heheh, I'm sure you'll like it! =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...