Friday, January 25

Movie of the Week: A Little Princess




Rated: G
Directed by: Alfonso Cuarón
Time: 97 Minutes
Release Date: May 10, 1995

Blurb:

Alfonso Cuarón directs A Little Princess, the magical story of a girl who uses her powers of imagination and zest for life to overcome hardships at a stern boarding school.

For a slightly longer blurb from Wikipedia...

Set during World War I, A Little Princess focuses on a young girl who is relegated to a life of servitude in a New York City boarding school by the headmistress after receiving news that her father was killed in combat. Loosely based upon the novel A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett, this adaptation was heavily influenced by the 1939 cinematic version and takes creative liberties with the original story.

The film was critically acclaimed and given various awards, such as an Academy Award nomination for its significant achievements in art direction and cinematography, among other aspects of its production.

My Opinion:

For this addition of Movie of the Week, I decided to include a movie outside of my usual time period. Why? Because this movie is one of my favourite movies of all time. As my parents can attest, I used to watch this movie nonstop, regardless of the fact that I balled like a baby every time.* Every. Single. Time. I'm sure if I put it in now, I'd be sobbing within minutes, Kleenex littering the couch around me.

Now, I hope that doesn't deter you from watching this movie. The ending is beautiful, but it will make you cry. The little girls will steal your heart, and the magic they weave to escape their loneliness is extraordinary. I highly recommend for any writer.

*As a little girl, I used to wear the gold locket Sara Crewe wears in the movie. I got it in the VHS packet when we first bought the movie in '95 (I was four). I have since received the movie on DVD as a Christmas present =)


Trailer:


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommend! I've never seen this movie. It looks really good and like something I'd enjoy.

    One of my favorites movies is "Annie", the 1999 edition with Alicia Morton, Victor Garber and Kathy Bates. The story and songs are so heartwarming. I watch the movie every Christmas, which my hubby thinks is completely ridiculous. Maybe...though not half as ridiculous as him watching "Cabin in the Woods" over and over again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen- You're welcome! It is a very good movie.

    You know, I've never seen all of Annie. I've seen bits and pieces, but never start to finish. I should remedy that!

    Heheh, Cabin in the Woods?!?! I much prefer our movies to his ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...