Wednesday, March 6

Interview with TIMESPELL Author Diana Paz!






Hello Diana!

Thank you so much for agreeing to stop by here today! I can’t tell you how excited I am to be interviewing one of my very own critique partners on her debut novel! I remember when you first got the news about Rhemalda. I ran around screaming like a crazy person! It has been a whirlwind ever since!

Okay, now that I have bombarded you all with exclamation points, I think it’s time to get to the fun stuff!

1). To begin, can you tell us a bit about TIMESPELL? 

Hi Nat, thanks so much for having me on your blog! And yes, TIMESPELL! It's about best friends Julia and Angie, who are excitedly learning to use the magic they share, as descendents of the first priestesses of the Fates. Their duties include traveling through time to prevent demons from wreaking havoc on the world timeline, but they can only keep their magic if they find and seal themselves for all time to the third Daughter of Fate. When they find out the final Daughter is Kaitlyn, the bullying bad girl who tried stealing Angie's boyfriend, suddenly a world ruled by demons doesn't sound so bad.

2). The book focuses on three different girls—did you find this difficult to write? Do you have a favorite between the three?

Writing from three different point of views  was a challenge, but a lot of fun! It gave me a chance to explore personalities very different from my own, and see the world through new perspectives. I think if I had to choose a favorite... that's so difficult! I love them all, from Angie's sweetness to Julia's silliness to Kaitlyn's fearlessness, so I really can't pick!

3). Why did you decide to focus part of the novel in Paris during the French Revolution? Did you find it difficult to research? Have you ever been to Paris before?

I've always loved history, so when I came up with the idea for TIMESPELL and realized I would have teenage girls traveling through time, I thought it would be interesting to put them in a world where the Queen was their own age. Marie Antoinette, with all the turmoil that comes with the French Revolution, seemed ideal, and it was a lot of fun to write. Sadly, I have never been to Paris, but research is one of my guilty pleasures; it was a great way to get to visit France in my mind, at least!

4). As your debut novel, did you find one aspect of publishing difficult and/or surprising?

I think no matter what I read or what anyone prepared me for, there would have been surprises. I'm lucky in having friends who are published and who were kind enough to talk to me about expectations on everything from the editing process to marketing expectations. I think the most difficult part of having my book published so far has been managing my time for promoting my current book while still writing future works.

5). Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?

Never give up! It's cliched, but it's truly the only way you'll fulfill your dreams.

6). What books and/or authors have influenced your life the most? Are you reading anything right now?

I think books as a whole have influenced my life more than specific books or authors. I constantly wanted to read growing up and no matter what else I was doing, my mind was always lost in whichever book I was in the middle of. I'm not much of a re-reader, but a very few of the books that left the biggest impressions are THE ONCE AND FUTURE KING by T. H. White, DAUGHTER OF FORTUNE by Isabel Allende, The Coldfire Trilogy by C. S. Friedman, THE COLOR PURPLE by Alice Walker, and THE JOY LUCK CLUB by Amy Tan. I could fill pages and pages with books I love and that have influenced me, but these are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head. 

I'm re-reading CLAN OF THE CAVE BEAR by Jean M. Auel. I love Ayla's story, the descriptions, and the entire world.

7). Besides writing, do you have any other passions?

Music, definitely. I used to be obsessed with playing violin, and now I still love learning a new piano piece, or re-learning an old favorite. I'm not good at it, but I enjoy the process of losing myself to music, and I love finding music that matches the stories I write.

8). What are you working on right now?

Right now I'm working on the next book in the TIMESPELL series, which is currently untitled. So far it looks like the girls will be traveling back in time to Caribbean during the golden age of piracy. Fun stuff!

9). And finally, can you share a snippet of TIMESPELL with us? Pretty please??

Of course! Here's an excerpt from the first time Julia sees Ethan...who turns out to be involved with the magic in more ways than she realizes:

Those eyes, surrounded by rows of thick, black lashes, flashed with recognition. Julia didn’t know what to make of that, because she had never seen him before. She definitely would have remembered those eyes.

The thought made her blush. She tried to control it, as well as her heart, which was beating like crazy. How long was she going to keep staring? She was making it obvious that she thought the guy was hot to the power of hotness, and she had a boyfriend.

Excuse me,” he said softly.

Right.” She moved out of the way.

He hesitated at her side before walking on.

Do you know him?” Angie whispered.

Julia had forgotten Angie was there behind her. She shook her
head.

He seemed to know you.”

Angie swept past her and stepped into the tent. Julia held open the tent flap, unable to move forward. Was she really going to look back at the guy? She squeezed her eyes shut. Yeah, she really was.

He wove in and out of the crowd, stopping to brace himself against a palm tree. His chest heaved. Before she could decide if something was wrong, his head swung up and their gazes locked.

Julia’s heart slammed against her chest as he began to vanish into thin air.

His hands melted away, then his legs and torso, and finally his desperate face. If she hadn’t spent the past few months in training to become a Daughter of Fate, she would have questioned her sanity before believing her eyes.

Come in, Julia,” Indira said in an airy voice.

Thank you so much for joining us here today! I am so proud of you and I know you’re going to be a huge hit ;)
            It's been a pleasure, thanks for having me, Natalie! I'm so proud to have you as my critique partner and friend.

TIMESPELL is now available for pre-order from Rhemalda Publishing and from Amazon. Although, I do have it on the best authority that TIMESPELL is already available for Kindle from Amazon *wink-wink, nudge-nudge* Its official release is April 1st, so make sure you order your copy today!

Author Bio:
Diana Paz writes books about magic, adventure, and romance. She was born in Costa Rica, grew up on Miami Beach, moved to Los Angeles in high school, and went to college in San Diego. Basically, she’s a beach bum. Diana graduated from California State University, San Marcos with a Bachelor’s Degree in Liberal Arts. She loves old movies, epic fantasy, all kinds of music, and heading to the beach with a good book. Preferably sipping a highly sweetened iced coffee. Find her at her blog: dianapazwrites.blogspot.com or on Twitter @dianapazwrites

For more fun facts about Diana, you can check out her “About Me” page here where she has answered questions from her blog readers.

4 comments:

  1. You had me at Paris during the French Revolution. =)

    Seriously, I can't wait to read this book. I love YA, time travel, and Paris! I adore the cover of TIMESPELL, and just know I'm going to love the story, too.

    Great interview, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen- Thank you for stopping by =) I can't wait to get my hands on a physical copy of this book, LOL. I love the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am late to comment but EEEE!!!!!!! TIMESPELL!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amalia- I KNOW! I'm so excited!!!!!! I just received my copies in the mail! =D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...