Friday, April 26

New Adult

This post has been bouncing around in my head for a while now, so I figure I should probably let it out at some point.

As you know, I've become addicted to the New Adult (NA) genre. Just look at the books I've read so far this year. Eleven out of the twenty-two books are NA (although I would also classify two of the Young Adult books as more NA in flavor, but I followed B&N's classification). And those are just the books I've finished. I have tried thirteen other NA books that didn't hold my attention, and therefore did not make the list.

So what's the appeal?

Well, I've always loved YA books. I enjoy getting to see teens figure their shit out. And I love the transitional period from childhood to semi-adulthood. And while the angst gets annoying at times, I love the first kiss, the first love, the first heartbreak, the first everything! However, I've always gravitated to the darker books. The sexier books, if you will. Hey, I'm a romance writer! It might be the French and the Irish in me, but I don't see the point in hiding sex or pretending it doesn't exist. It happens. Get over it.  Which is why I adore YA authors like Jennifer Echols and Simone Elkeles. They don't run from it, they embrace it. Unfortunately, they are still human and they can't write a book a day, much to my dismay.

When NA made it's debut at the end of 2012, I knew I had to try it. University was a huge turning point for me, so I knew I would love books written in that age group. Needless to say, my first guess was correct. I was hooked. If I thought YA was good, it's nothing compared to NA. Since it's an older group, the darker issues are addressed more openly. There is sex, drugs, alcohol, abuse, suicide, and sadly, rape. Overall, I find NA books to be more honest. The genre is able to deal with broader, more difficult issues.

Now, there are some cons to the NA genre. Just look at my stats. Eleven (thirteen, really) NA books, plus another thirteen that I tried and couldn't finish. Those aren't great odds. So why have I struggled with some of the books? The main reason is, the majority of the books I've tried were self-published. However, before you all freak out, I have nothing against self-published authors. In fact, with the NA genre, I'm adoring them. 

But just because your book is NA does not mean it's good! People are so desperate for the genre that they will read anything. As for me, I still require basic spelling and grammar, and a hint that you actually edited the work. That sounds harsh, but some of the books I downloaded were so full of errors that I immediately returned for a refund. When I download a book to my Kindle, I expect quality. I expect the book to be in top form, regardless of whether it was self-published or published traditionally.

Still, there are some gems amongst the rocks. My top three NA books so far are:


Easy by Tammara Webber

This book is my all-time favorite at the moment. I loved the hero, I loved the heroine, and I loved the plot. And the writing--swoon! Plus, it deals with the issue of rape on university campuses. I think this is a powerful message that needs to be discussed by everyone. I don't care your gender--we need to stick up for each other!!



Wait For You by Jennifer L. Armentrout writing as J. Lynn

This is another book that deals with a very tough issue, but I won't get into it (don't want to ruin the book!) For once, the heroine is the one with the issues. The hero is sweet, funny, and loveable as he tries to win her over. He is a "bad boy" but not in the traditional, brooding sense. Trust me, you will LOVE this book. Even the secondary characters were amazing. I can't wait for book two.


The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen

Okay, let's be honest. The title is dreadful. I almost didn't try it based off of that, but the cover is so gorgeous! In the end, I'm glad I gave it a shot. This book is amazing. Yet another plot that deals with very difficult issues. This one, however, is mutual between the hero and heroine. Both are very broken individuals, but together they work. I loved it, and I can't believe I have to wait for book two!

So there you have it! My thoughts on the new genre. 

Have you guys tried the NA genre? Any favorite books you'd like to add?

6 comments:

  1. I have not tried this genre yet, but my list of books I need to read is so long. It might be a bit before I get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely, positively LOVE this genre. In fact, I think I love it more than YA--which I adore. I'm attracted to NA for the same reasons as you: an older group and darker issues.

    The first and last books you named are my favorite NA books, so far. I need to read WAIT FOR YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina- Yeah. Although I love NA, I'm not sure it's a genre you would like as much. I'm fine with straight up contemporaries, whereas you tend to like some paranormal to yours. Still, I suggest trying one of those three at some point =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen- Yay, another NA fan =) I like it more than YA, too. I still love certain authors, but NA seems to be more my cup of tea.

    You definitely need to try WAIT FOR YOU. It was so good. The hero is amazing. It routinely goes on sale for 99 cents, so just keep your eye out =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the first "NA" novel I read was Lev Grossman's _The Magicians_. At least, *I'd* call it NA. -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda- Hello! Did you enjoy the book? I've never read it =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...