Tuesday, August 27

The Meaning Behind My Blog Title

I've been meaning to write this post for a while now, so today seems as good a time as any!

When I started this blog back in 2009, I wanted a title that reflected my life. I wanted something that would stand out, something that would make an impression on people. Of course, I suppose I could have simply put NATALIE MURPHY and been done with the whole thing, but that's not my style. A name is just a name, and though I like my name (both maiden and married), I didn't pick it/them.

So I set out to find the perfect title. To be honest, it didn't take very long. THE SOUND OF RAIN had a special meaning to me already, so it seemed fitting that I would name my blog that.

Over the years, I've had various people ask me the meaning behind my title. Why did I pick rain? Why is the sound of rain something important?

There are various ways to look at it. First, you could take it quite literal. I like the sound of rain. I've always been a fan of storms, and it's the perfect condition to read or write, which seemed appropriate for a writer's blog.

Or, you could look a bit deeper.

Rain is life. This is true in every culture throughout history, so when I say THE SOUND OF RAIN, I really mean, THE SOUND OF LIFE. Even when I tried to explain that to people, they did not understand, which is why I added the subtitle: Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Although dancing in the rain can be quite fun, that's not what the saying means. It means you can sit around and watch life go by, or you can go out there and dance in it. This blog, though a small blip on the radar, is my way of sharing my experiences with all of you. It is the sound of my life.

6 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...