Monday, September 9

My Weekend: Books, Movies, and Writing (oh my!)

Hello all!

I hope you guys had a pleasant weekend. I was all by my lonesome (except for the puppy, of course). The husband went camping with Scouts so I was left to my own devices. On Friday night I hung out and talked to friends. I also watched part of EVER AFTER, but decided to stop to get some writing done. I only managed a few hundred words, but it's better than nothing!

Saturday I woke up bright and early to run an errand for the husband, then I stopped at B&N (my favorite store, as you all know) and bought a few books, including The Art of War for Writers by James Scott Bell and Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon. I haven't been able to read the former yet, but I whipped through the latter within thirty minutes. It's a very short book (obviously, since I'm not the Flash) but it is profound. I suggest everyone buys that book--you don't need to be an artist for it to help you with your daily life.

Every little tidbit in this book was wonderful. I felt so inspired after reading it. As the title foreshadows, the book discusses how we find inspiration and how we should use it to succeed. Kleon suggests that we steal everything, which I balked at in the beginning. My university education made me fear the giant P word (plagiarism *shudders*) so even a hint of theft makes me break out in a cold sweat. Kleon, however, goes on to explain that everything we do is theft, it's just how we deal with it that matters.  He also has several wonderful points about being a creative person and how we fit everything into our day-to-day lives. Highly recommended!

Anyway, after going to B&N I went home and wrote for a few hours. After that I went out to dinner and a movie with my husband's aunt and cousin. We saw WE'RE THE MILLERS, which was surprisingly hilarious. I always worry they show all of the funny parts in the trailers, but that wasn't the case with this film.

Once I was back home, I was exhausted. I finished watching EVER AFTER and went to bed. I wanted to write, but my eyes were closing of their own accord lol.

Sunday was my favorite day of the whole weekend! I got up early and went to B&N. After doing a bit more shopping (hehehe), I went to the Starbucks Cafe and wrote for just over an hour (I wanted to stay longer, but I needed to pick up the hubby). I ended up with just under 700 words! I was shocked and so pleased with myself. I just stuck my headphones in and disappeared into my own little world. I didn't even connect to the wi-fi. Afterwards I felt so inspired, I looked at my schedule for the next few weeks to see when I could go to a coffee shop and write. Good news is, I should be able to go on Thursday evening, but I might need to go before then. The husband has also suggested we go to this fancy library in the county. It's gorgeous from the outside, but I've never been in. DH was there a little while ago for a meeting and he said it's really nice, and they have a cafe inside too! Sounds like heaven, doesn't it? I'm hoping I can get him to go on Saturday ;)

So how was your weekend? Do anything fun or productive?? Have you ever tried writing in a cafe? How did it work for you? I found I enjoyed the "event" of going out specifically to write. It meant I couldn't goof around, because I drove there to do work. I also LOVED not having any distractions, like the internet or my puppy lol.

4 comments:

  1. It was full of organizing the house and canning peaches. Not too much fun, but it rained all weekend, so that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patti-- A very productive weekend for you! I like organizing, so that sounds sort of fun to me, heheheh =$

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a fun and productive weekend. I enjoyed our writing session on Friday night!

    I'm impressed with how much you wrote while at Starbucks. I used to be good at tuning at the world when I was in college. I could sit in a hallway, reading and studying my textbooks, without noticing the students walking by. Now, I fear all the people in Starbucks would prove too distracting. I suppose I'll have to give it a try to know for sure.

    I saw RIDDICK this weekend. I love Vin Diesel. He's my favorite badass. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen-- Thank you!! I enjoyed our writing session, too =)

    I was very good at it in university, too. You should definitely give it a try! I really liked my time at Starbucks. I plan on going back Thursday, then the library on Saturday, and then somewhere else Sunday and Monday, LOL. I'll have lots of free time on my hands =)

    Christopher and I are doing a date night on Friday. We're planning on going to see RIDDICK. My parents saw it on Sunday too and they loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...