Thursday, October 17

First Draft: Completed!

Yep, that's right, I finished my first draft last night! Yay! *dances around* 

I knew I was getting close, but I didn't realize how close until yesterday morning. I ended up writing 4000 words just so I could type The End! My first draft is complete at just under 70, 000 words. Obviously I have a lot to expand and revise (since I'm aiming for around 100K) but I needed to finish this first draft. It has been so long since Warrior Branded that I needed to get it down. I needed to let these thoughts and ideas out before I forgot them.

I ended up using a different tactic this time 'round, which seems to have worked well for me. I did what I'm calling a detailed plot outline for the rest of the book. Some scenes have full dialogue, character movement, and detailed descriptions of the setting, while others don't have as much. It helped me get everything down on "paper" without worrying over word choice and other nit-picky things. I kept stalling in the earlier chapters because I'd spend so much time on one scene that my brain didn't know what happened next. I love writing a clean first draft, but it wasn't working for me with this novel. I wanted to get it out there so I could breathe a bit easier.

The next stage is rewriting, fleshing out, and revising my story. I don't know how long it's going to take or what a realistic deadline is going to be. I'm going to sit down tonight and look at the numbers and the work ahead of me to try and figure something out. Personally, I would love to be done by the beginning of December and querying in January, but we'll see. I don't want to place unrealistic deadlines on myself. One good thing is that everyone else will be doing NaNo while I write/revise, so I'll have lots of people to talk to!

For today, however, I'm going to play around with WriteWay (my reward for typing THE END), and prepare for the battle ahead of me! Meanwhile, my puppy is sleeping away. He enjoys our days spent writing--it means more sleep for him! ;)


6 comments:

  1. CONGRATS!!! I'm so proud of you. I knew you could type THE END before your November deadline. You worked hard and you did it!! YAY! *clapping*

    I think this new tactic is terrific, btw. It certainly helped me make progress on my WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen-- Thank youuuuu! I couldn't have done it without you =)

    Heheh, you're welcome ;) Congrats on your own first draft! I knew we could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to say...Powell looks adorable in that photo. So sleepy and sweet! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen-- Thank you! He's a big snugglebum, especially when I'm writing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...