Tuesday, October 22

My (Crazy) Writing Schedule

Now that I've finished my first draft, I've spent some time going over my schedule for the next few months. After spending an hour or two on it, I believe I've come up with six stages (and tentative deadlines!) for my novel. I have no idea if this plan is realistic or not, so I'm not going to be too heartbroken if it doesn't work out. I just need something to keep me going.

Below is a shortened version of my plan. I have a more detailed version in a Word Doc, but I didn't want to go into all of the nitty-gritty details on here.


Stage One: Completed October 16, 2013

Writing at Starbucks.
--Write The End on my first draft.

Stage Two: Now to November 16th (current stage)

--Flesh out entire manuscript.
--Make basic edits.

Stage Three: November 17th to December 1st

--Edit the entire manuscript!
--Send to my Alpha for an overall critique. Make necessary changes as they appear in my inbox.
--Send my query letter to a few people for critique.

Stage Four: December 1st to 14th

--Send story to my wonderful CP, Jen, for critique. Make necessary changes as they roll in.
--While I wait for edits I will tweak my query letter based on critiques.
--I will also begin writing my synopsis. I will attempt to finish it, but it will likely need to be changed after I receive my critiques.

Stage Five: December 16th to 31st

--Send story to my Alpha and Jen again for one last look. Make changes.
--Send story to beta readers! Make changes.
--While I wait, finish up synopsis and prepare to query.

Stage Six: Beginning of January (hopefully!)

--Query agents!
--While I go crazy over the state of my inbox, I will plot the other books in the series.
--Start a new story!

As you can see, this plan is quite ambitious (and quite possibly insane). Obviously I don't expect my beta readers to read the entire story in two weeks (although that would be fantastic), but this is just a general schedule for me to work off of. I'm not even sure I can finish fleshing out the story by November 16th, but I'm going to try my hardest to meet that deadline. If I don't make it, oh well! It won't be the end of the world, and at least I'll be that much closer to being done. That's the beauty of being an unpublished writer--I have the freedom to set my own deadlines.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy? Or will my insanity pay off in the long run? *winks* I'm not sure I even believe I can meet this crazy schedule, but I can still try, right? No harm in trying!

4 comments:

  1. That is an ambitious schedule, but if anyone can pull it off, you can. =o)

    Go get 'em, Nat!

    And let me know if you need me to do anything - beta read, crit, query letter assistance...

    ReplyDelete
  2. B.E-- Heheh, thanks. I'm hoping my time in university pays off. Back then my schedule was triple the complexity (and workload) as this, so we'll see. Of course, this is a creative endeavor whereas university was more fact-based, so it might not work out. If it does, MUAH HAHAHAHAHAHA! If it doesn't, oh well!

    I would like to have the story at least completed by my birthday. If it hasn't been through my betas or CP yet, that's fine. I just want it done by then (that's a secondary goal, I guess).

    Oh, don't you worry. You're already on my list for beta readers and query assistance ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that schedule is a little bit crazy. But you always accomplish what you set out to do, so...You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen-- Heheh, I told you it was crazy! I really don't think it's going to happen, but at least I have something pushing me to finish =)

    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...