Monday, November 18

My Weekend: Christmas Cards & Holiday Decorations

Well, I did what I said I wasn't going to do until next Saturday: I decorated the house.

Now, before you all get your pitchforks, I didn't decorate everything. I did save the greenery until next weekend. That includes the garland and the Christmas tree itself. Arguably the two most important decorations (aside from presents, but I'm not that far gone yet).

Anyway, it all came about because I decided I should get a head start on Christmas cards this year. With how bad my arms are and how busy we're going to be starting today, I thought it was a good plan. Unfortunately, the cards I bought at the end of last Christmas were packed away with the holiday wrapping paper and ribbons (a good place, in my opinion, but not exactly accessible). My husband, being the helpful man he is, pulled out all of the Christmas bins for me. And really, what's the point of putting them back only to take them out again a week later?

That's how it happened. The bins sat in my spare room, taunting me with their glitz and glam. There really wasn't anything I could do to stop it. Before I knew what I was happening, I'd started to put small figurines around the house. Next came the stockings and my Willow Tree angels, and then my Christmas apron. It all went downhill from there. Between Saturday and Sunday, everything was out and the bins put away. I even managed to take all of the Christmas tree ornaments out of their boxes and prepare them for decorating on Saturday. Yep, I'm one of those people.

This weekend I also managed to get all of my Christmas cards finished. All sixty-eight of them. *dies* I have extras in case I forgot someone, but I'm really hoping that's not the case. My arms are killing me, but they're all done! I like seeing the neat stacks of envelopes ready to be mailed out the first week of December. =)

I also did some commonplace chores: I made a batch of hard boiled eggs, did some laundry, labelled all of the bins in my spare room closet, contemplated writing (no actual writing was done, but meh), and tidied the house. After the stressful events of last week (my arms were killing me so I didn't sleep much, and then Powell split open a nail on Tuesday, which meant an expensive trip to the vet), I needed something fun to do. I didn't get much done because of everything going on, so it was nice to have a productive weekend. An added bonus: my husband made oatmeal toffee cookies on Sunday. Yum, yum, yum! Now it's my turn to make cookies (I was too busy this weekend). I'm thinking sugar cookies and my mum's chocolate chip cookies!

What did you do this weekend? When do you decorate? As a Canadian, the natural progression is Thanksgiving, Halloween, Christmas, so a lot of my friends and family decorate right about now. It gets messed up with American Thanksgiving in there, though.

8 comments:

  1. Wow - I'm impressed, Natalie. I haven't even contemplated Christmas (and I know I should get on the Christmas Letter - but I have nothing in the imagination hopper for that yet).

    We decorate about two weeks before Christmas. My SIL will be itching, but my brother insists she can't put anything up until AFTER the Grey Cup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have Christmas out already. I've been wanting to pull mine out since the end of October...minus the time to do anything. We always get our stuff out the day after Thanksgiving--so the kids can participate too. It's fun to have their creativity. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sneaky girl! I'm glad you were able to decorate the house like you wanted to do. =)

    I don't normally decorate for Christmas until the day after Thanksgiving. But this weekend my hubby put out our Christmas doormat and hung up our card holder. I designed and ordered my Christmas photo cards, and wrapped three gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet-- What! Why haven't you contemplated Christmas yet? I adore the holiday season! It's my favorite time of the year. My birthday is on the 21st of December and my husband's birthday is on the 28th. It's a great time =) Good food, shiny presents, and family time!

    I thought about doing a Christmas Letter but decided against it this year. I just went with the usual Christmas card =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crystal-- Hello! My husband told me I couldn't decorate until the 23rd, but I'm sneaky ;) I let him play Xbox all weekend so he didn't mind when I started to unpack everything.

    Normally my husband (who is American), says I can't decorate until the day after Thanksgiving too, but this year it's so late. I'm not waiting until December to decorate, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen-- Muah hahahahaha! DH is all bark, no bite. I knew he'd let me decorate early.

    *gasps* You already wrapped presents?! That's next on my list, but I haven't gone that far yet ;) I can't wait to see your photo card this year! I loved last year's. I wanted to do one this year for our family, but I didn't like enough pictures. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me, it's no Christmas until after Thanksgiving - but I'm not going to get all up in your face for you decorating your own home. Just don't sing carols around me. (That's a shootin' offense.) ;o)

    Oh goddog it, I have to go buy a freakin' tree somewhere because we didn't move our old tree with us to MO. Crapzilla. Which means I have to think about Christmas before TG because I usually put the tree up the day after TG, and I sure as heck don't want to go shopping on Black Friday. :shudder:

    ReplyDelete
  8. B.E.-- Lol *clears throat* Weeeeee wish you a merry Christma... Okay, okay, I'll stop.

    Hahaha, you have to do Christmas shopping =P Hehehehe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...