Monday, November 11

Remembrance Day

Today is Remembrance Day in Canada. Although it's also Veteran's Day here in the USA, the two are very different (from what I've witnessed). Unlike Memorial Day (and to some degree, Veteran's Day), today is not a day of celebration. There are no BBQ's or department store sales. There are no cheerful parades, or smiling faces. Today is a national memorial day, where we remember those who fought and died for our freedom.

As a Scout, I took part in dozens of memorial services for our armed forces. They were somber occasions, filled with tears and deep mourning. Every TV is tuned to the national service, and at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, the entire country goes silent. Everyone stops to remember and to give thanks.

Today I proudly wear my poppy to honor those brave men and women who sacrificed their lives so that I may live.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...