Thursday, January 23

Stopping In

Hello everyone!

I just thought I'd pop in for a quick visit, since I haven't posted on here in a while. As some of you may already know, January has been a really tough month for my family. Not only did I lose a friend back home, but Granddad died. There have also been four other deaths in the family since then, and although we weren't close to them, it is always hard to hear about such sad days. We are trying to stay positive, but of course we have our good days and our bad days.

In positive news, we had our first weekend off since the end of November, which was lovely. We didn't have anywhere to go or anyone we had to see. It was quite an extraordinary feeling for us!

I've been writing a lot more again. I'm more than halfway through my second draft of AHR. It's taking a while, mainly because I'm using my first draft as detailed notes rather than a finished scene. I'm rewriting a large majority of the last half of the book, which takes time. Besides, I refuse to rush anymore. A first draft should be written quickly (so you can get all of your ideas down right away), but at some point I have to let my inner editor out (before she kills me). Even still, I'm hoping to be done and ready to query by spring. We shall see!

Along the same lines as above, I've been writing at Starbucks a lot more. I never wanted to try the popular coffee shop because 1). back home we have Tim Hortons, and it feels like a betrayal to go to the overpriced American chain, and 2). because it was always expected of English majors and writers to be the indie types who hang out at coffee shops.  Yes, yes, I know, not good reasons, but I just had no interest before. In university I drank smoothies, not coffee. In fact, I still drink smoothies, not coffee. But I decided to try it a few months ago to get out of a rut I was in, and to my shock, it worked! The delicious smells, the comfy chairs... I can put my headphones on and disappear into my book within seconds. My husband, wonderful, wonderful man that he is, has started encouraging me to go more than once a week, and he's taken to joining me! I write and he sits there and does work for Scouts, or his job, or he just plays games on his laptop or PS Vita. We stay for just over an hour, and I get tons of work done. It almost feels like a nice little date night out, though it didn't cost us anything (my mother-in-law gave me a handful of Starbucks cards she's received over the years as a teacher, but hasn't used!).

My parents finally booked their tickets to come and visit in February. They will be here in less than three weeks now, and I am so excited. I need some parent time! With our busy month in December, and our less-than-stellar beginning to January, both my hubby and I need some fun. We can't wait to see them =)

Well, that's about it for now. I will try and post more often, but my focus is on my family and my writing right now. I hope you guys have had a better start to your month and year!

xoxo

5 comments:

  1. It's nice to see a new post from you. I love your blog posts. =)

    It truly sucks that your new year got off to such a rough start. ((hugs)) I'm proud of you for pushing through the heartache and blahs as quickly as you did. It's nice that we can escape into our stories when we need a mental break.

    Yay for Starbucks! More trips to the coffee shop are sure to keep you on track. Kudos to your awesome hubby for encouraging you to visit Starbucks more than once a week. Love that man! ;)

    You are going to have a blast with your parents. I'm so excited for you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry your year started out so crappy. :hugs:

    Hooray for writing and for Starbucks and for having such an awesome husband. Also yay for your parents coming down. Now don't you worry about blogging or whatever. Keep focusing on family and writing and whatever makes you happy - and if that happens to be blogging from time to time, then even better. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen-- Aww, thank you hun =)

    Yeah, it was not a great start. We had such high hopes for January, but alas, they were not meant to be. All things considered, I think we're doing okay (especially hubby).

    I think that's part of the reason he likes to go to Starbucks with me. He can't escape into writing, but he can tag along with me =) Yes, he is wonderful!

    Thank you! We (read: they) can't seem to decide whether to hang around Roanoke or go for a drive to DC. I'm sure they won't decide until they're here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. B.E.-- Thanks, hun.

    Yep, I'm still going to try and keep the blog going, of course, but I can't focus on it right now. It's not as important as writing or my family =) I'm hoping I have some pictures I can post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for your troubles. Good luck for your future.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...